Richard Strauss' Violin Sonata

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Richard Strauss' Violin Sonata

Post by Rach3 » Wed May 30, 2018 9:20 am

A wonderful performance of the wonderful Richard Strauss ' Op.18 Violin Sonata by Renaud Capucon and Guillaume Bellom , at 43:00 into this Radio Belgium Francaise podcast :

https://www.rtbf.be/auvio/detail_lunch- ... id=2355314

maestrob

Re: Richard Strauss' Violin Sonata

Post by maestrob » Wed May 30, 2018 11:14 am

Renaud Capucon is indeed a marvel! I have both his Brahms and Beethoven violin concerti (coupled with the Berg); his tone is extraordinarily beautiful, and his musicianship is non-pareil. Thanks for posting this: the Strauss sonata is not often done, and deserves to be heard more often.

RebLem
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.

Post by RebLem » Wed May 30, 2018 5:03 pm

I couldn't get this to play, but let me tell you of one of my favorite Strauss issues, a 2 CD Virgin Classics collection with the sonata.

CD 1--9 songs with orchestra. (33'02) Gundula Janowitz, soprano, Richard Stamp, conductor, Academy of London. |Metamorphosen (25'47), same conductor & orchestra.

CD 2--Oboe Concerto in D Major (24'19), Ray Still, oboe, same conductor & orchestra.
The Sonata itself is the last work on the program, a 27'58 effort featuring Dmitry Sitkovetsky, violin, and Pavel Gililov, piano.
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed May 30, 2018 8:10 pm

RebLem wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 5:03 pm
I couldn't get this to play....
Sorry about the hassle. No guarantees, but when I click on the RBF link I gave , I sometimes get a " Connectez-vous" button on the opening screen ( with the presenter lady's picture ), when I click that button, I then get a screen with a choice of connecting thru Facebook or Google ( I click on the Google " connect " button as I have a Google account for my email but not am not on Facebook ),then I sometimes get, have to click on "Connectez -vous " screen again, or the RBF picture screen goes blank and I have to hit my back button and/ or click on the RBF link I gave again, and/or my refresh button, at which point finally get her screen picture back with a play arrow to click, and finally plays. Why all that I dont know, but usually worth the effort.

John F

Post by John F » Thu May 31, 2018 3:52 am

The Strauss sonata is an early and uncharacteristic work, but it's attractive enough that a number of famous violinists played it and some recorded it, including Heifetz and Ginette Neveu. My favorite is by Leonid Kogan. All are on YouTube.
John Francis