Hans Rosbaud, conductor (new Haydn release)

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Hans Rosbaud, conductor (new Haydn release)

Post by Lance » Wed May 30, 2018 9:03 pm

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... SY355_.jpg
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... SY355_.jpg
SWR Classics, 19056, 7 CDs [Symphonies and Concertos]

Ever since I began collecting LPs from about 1959 or 1960, I immediately fell in love with the work of Austrian-born conductor/pianist HANS ROSBAUD [1895-1962], I knew I was hearing something very special and could not get a hold of many of his recordings. Today, that whole situation is different. He no doubt appreciated more since his passing, at least in the USA, than he ever was. The man was a musical genius. You can learn more about Rosbaud here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Rosbaud

In this edition, you get Haydn's [1732-1809] symphonies 12,19,48,52,58,65,83,87,90,93,95, 96,97,99,100,102, and 104 (two performances, 1952 and a stereo one from 1962). Also we get a No. 45 in stereo also from 1962). The collaborations include Haydn's Cello Concerto in D Major with cellist Maurice Gendron; the Trumpet Concerto in E-flat Major with Walter Gleissle, trumpeter; the Double Concerto in F Major with Susanne Lautenbacher, violin and Edith Picht-Axenfeld, harpsichord; the Piano Concerto in D Major with Maria Bergmann, piano. Also included is Leopold Hofmann's [1738-1793] Flute Concerto, formerly attributed to Haydn.

Highly recommend this set.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

John F

Re: Hans Rosbaud, conductor (new Haydn release)

Post by John F » Thu May 31, 2018 4:25 am

Surprising, that Rosbaud conducted so much Haydn. DG recorded him in only two symphonies, 92 and 104, and No. 82 appeared on Mercury. Maybe Rosbaud wasn't well enough known in the major markets for classical records, the UK and US, and there mainly as an exponent of difficult contemporary music, for record companies to make more use of his work.
John Francis

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Thu May 31, 2018 4:50 am

Rosbaud also conducted Mozart opera. Scherchen and Rosbaud were better known for modernist repertoire but also conducted a ton of the standard stuff at a very high level.

John F

Post by John F » Thu May 31, 2018 6:01 am

Scherchen was willing to record for a lesser record label, Westminster, which was building a catalog from scratch to include all the basic classical repertoire. He had no position at the time, unlike Rosbaud who was established as music director at Southwest German Radio. And he may have been willing to accept lower fees and less rehearsal time - some of his Westminster recordings, notably Mahler symphonies, were not ready for prime time.

Westminster in its early years was very canny in its choices of artists and repertoire; they also signed Artur Rodzinski after he left the New York Philharmonic and then the Chicago Symphony after very brief tenures, earning a well-deserved reputation as a difficult personality. And by basing their activities in Vienna, they had access to one of the world's largest pools of outstanding classical musicians who, in the hard times after the War, were available for very little money. Changing times, notably the coming of stereo, put Westminster out of business in the 1960s, and many of its best recordings have never been reissued even in this time of mass recycling of older recordings. A terrible loss.

Rosbaud, secure and very busy in Baden-Baden, was either more selective in his studio recordings with other orchestras or less available for them. He did find the time for the famous North German Radio (Hamburg) studio broadcast of Schoenberg's "Moses und Aron" at 8 days' notice when the orchestra's regular conductor, Hans Schmidt-Isserstedt, became ill and had to withdraw - an extraordinary achievement; this is the recording he is best known by. In the summer he conducted operas at the Festival of Aix-en-Provence, not just the Mozart repertoire but also Rameau's "Platée," which EMI's French branch Pathé made live and studio recordings of; Philips recorded him in Gluck's "Orphée et Euridice" in Paris. Otherwise, like Scherchen, he conducted very little opera and was never music director of an opera company.
John Francis

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Thu May 31, 2018 6:14 am

Scherchen was great across the board. Bach, Beethoven, Haydn, etc. Some of the best recordings I own are on Westminster. A slew of Westminsters have been issued in Korea in two humongous boxes, but I retain my LPs.

John F

Post by John F » Thu May 31, 2018 8:20 am

The main gap in Westminster's catalog was opera - they recorded a few but little standard repertoire. In this they were wise not to go into competition with EMI, RCA Victor, DG, and Decca/London. On the other hand, their chamber music catalog was outstanding. Many of the recordings were made in Vienna, including string quartets by two ensembles from the Vienna Philharmonic, the Vienna Konzerthaus Quartet (the Philharmonic plays some of its concerts in the Konzerthaus) and the Barylli Quartet (Walter Barylli was one of the Philharmonic's concertmasters). Others were made in London, including string trios by Jean Pougnet, Frederick Riddle and Anthony Pini; their version of Mozart's great trio divertimento is still the one I prefer. When I was at WHRB we got a special deal from the local Westminster distributor, $2 per LP, and I loaded up in a hurry. I still have them and play them and they still sound good.
John Francis

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Thu May 31, 2018 9:18 am

John F wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 8:20 am
The main gap in Westminster's catalog was opera - they recorded a few but little standard repertoire. In this they were wise not to go into competition with EMI, RCA Victor, DG, and Decca/London. On the other hand, their chamber music catalog was outstanding. Many of the recordings were made in Vienna, including string quartets by two ensembles from the Vienna Philharmonic, the Vienna Konzerthaus Quartet (the Philharmonic plays some of its concerts in the Konzerthaus) and the Barylli Quartet (Walter Barylli was one of the Philharmonic's concertmasters). Others were made in London, including string trios by Jean Pougnet, Frederick Riddle and Anthony Pini; their version of Mozart's great trio divertimento is still the one I prefer. When I was at WHRB we got a special deal from the local Westminster distributor, $2 per LP, and I loaded up in a hurry. I still have them and play them and they still sound good.
And there was Badura-Skoda whose playing I first met via Westminster.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:04 am

John F wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 8:20 am
Don't forget, Beverly Sills's 3 Queens (Donizetti) were originally recorded by Westminster even though they were issued on CD by DGG.

John F

Post by John F » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:01 pm

Those were very late recordings, not typical of Westminster's repertoire and artists in the 1950s. I think I once heard that they were subsidized by Sills and/or her husband.
John Francis

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:25 pm

John F wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:01 pm
Those were very late recordings, not typical of Westminster's repertoire and artists in the 1950s. I think I once heard that they were subsidized by Sills and/or her husband.
I can't confirm that rumor, but it wouldn't surprise me. You probably know already that Sills approached Rudel about performing the 3 Queens at City Opera, he at first refused. Sills then threatened to hire Carnegie Hall and perform them in concert, with the result that Rudel changed his mind and allowed the project to go forward at Lincoln Center. Sills later admitted that it was not one of her finest moments.

John F

Post by John F » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:46 pm

No, I didn't know that story. In the Westminster Records thread I've provided a little more information about what happened to Westminster in the 1960s. It's doubtful that the company as it then was would have undertaken that project out of its own pocket, but I can't pin down the specifics. Maybe there's something about it in Sills's autobiography.
John Francis

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:53 pm

Another Rosbaud disc has arrived today on the SWR Classic label [19040, 79'40"], which includes five von Weber overtures plus his Konzertstück in F Minor, Op. 79 with pianist Robert Casadesus; Mendelssohn's Midsummer Night's Dream selections, and finally, Mendelssohn's Capriccio brillante, Op. 22 with Yvonne Loriod, pianist. Recordings were made in the Hans Rosbaud Studio between 1955 and 1962. The orchestra is the Southwest Radio Orchestra of Baden-Baden. Rosbaud was surely interested in contemporary music but he recorded an enormous amount of "traditional" classical music. Funny how we get on a kick for one conductor (or artist) at times. Right now for me: Rosbaud!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]