Teresa Berganza 2-CD reissued sets (Eloquence)

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Teresa Berganza 2-CD reissued sets (Eloquence)

Post by Lance » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:26 pm

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... _QL65_.jpg
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... SX355_.jpg
Decca Eloquence 482 5836, 2 CDs

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... _QL65_.jpg
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... SX355_.jpg
Decca Eloquence 482 6397, CD {with some first CD releases on Decca}

One of the great mezzo-sopranos of more current times, TERSEA BERGANZA made many recordings for many labels, the largest output of went for British Decca. Thanks to the efforts of Cyrus Meher-Homji of Decca, the Decca/DGG/Philips catalogues have come alive again with some treasures of the past, all conceived in Australia, all available at around mid-price. Since Eloquence's inception, I have added many CD recordings to the shelves, and disappointed not once, at least with those that have interested me.

Berganza, born in Spain in 1935, is from all accounts, still very much with us. She was admired for her technical virtuosity, musical intelligence, and beguiling stage presence and was hailed for her Mozart, Rossini, Bizet, and Gluck among many other composers. She recorded songs and works from Spain prolifically, often with her husband, Felix Lavilla, at the piano.

All-in-all, four new CDs in two reissues shown above. Vocal collectors will be happy!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Re: Teresa Berganza 2-CD reissued sets (Eloquence)

Post by maestrob » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:41 am

Right up our alley, Lance!

In our household, she's known as "The other Teresa..."

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:12 pm

You know what, Brian? I can't think of TWO BETTER TERESAS! I remember your lovely Teresa very well. I have yet to meet the "other" one. Maybe one day. If not here, then the Great Beyond!
maestrob wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:41 am
Right up our alley, Lance!

In our household, she's known as "The other Teresa..."
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

barney

Post by barney » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:48 pm

I have these, but haven't played them yet.
You've reminded me to get on with it. I'm still trying to get through 80 CDs of Claudio Arrau.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:43 pm

Understand Barney, I have not even touched the Arrau yet. Too much (great) music for one man! Maybe you should wait until winter to attack the Arrau set ... and the Brendel ... and the Perahia ... and ... on and on it goes. Have you delved into the two exquisite Fricsay boxed set from DGG of late? Collectors are having a ball with this stuff. The Munch, the Horowitz, Rubinstein, Bernstein, Giulini, Stokowski (Phase 4s), Great Moments at Carnegie Hall, Claudio Abbado, so many Richters, Vivarte collections, NY Philharmonic Anniversary Set, Serkin set, Bruno Walter Edition, new Leonard Rose, all the piano collections from everybody, Mozart complete operas (44cCDs), complete Rachmaninoff (Decca), Decca Sound (mono years), all the Most Wanted Recitals (Decca), Ricci Edition (Decca), Campoli (Decca individual CDs), Eileen Joyce, complete (Decca), Magaloff Edition (Decca), Westminster Legacy sets, Perlman sets (EMI, Decca), Bamberg Symphony (DGG), Zukerman Edition (DGG), Wunderlich (complete DGG), David Oistrakh (DGG), Fournier Edition (DGG), Karl Bohm Edition (DGG), Janowitz (DGG), Bumbry (DGG), Badura-Skoda (DGG/Westminster), Christa Ludwig Editions (EMI, DGG), Christian Ferras (DGG) ... I could go on and on. The problem is will we live long enough to hear it all, and particularly to enjoy it all? The other thought is that I hope they never stop manufacturing top-quality CD players or we will be out of business!
barney wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:48 pm
You've reminded me to get on with it. I'm still trying to get through 80 CDs of Claudio Arrau.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

barney

Post by barney » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:36 am

Lance wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:43 pm
Understand Barney, I have not even touched the Arrau yet. Too much (great) music for one man! Maybe you should wait until winter to attack the Arrau set ... and the Brendel ... and the Perahia ... and ... on and on it goes. Have you delved into the two exquisite Fricsay boxed set from DGG of late? Collectors are having a ball with this stuff. The Munch, the Horowitz, Rubinstein, Bernstein, Giulini, Stokowski (Phase 4s), Great Moments at Carnegie Hall, Claudio Abbado, so many Richters, Vivarte collections, NY Philharmonic Anniversary Set, Serkin set, Bruno Walter Edition, new Leonard Rose, all the piano collections from everybody, Mozart complete operas (44cCDs), complete Rachmaninoff (Decca), Decca Sound (mono years), all the Most Wanted Recitals (Decca), Ricci Edition (Decca), Campoli (Decca individual CDs), Eileen Joyce, complete (Decca), Magaloff Edition (Decca), Westminster Legacy sets, Perlman sets (EMI, Decca), Bamberg Symphony (DGG), Zukerman Edition (DGG), Wunderlich (complete DGG), David Oistrakh (DGG), Fournier Edition (DGG), Karl Bohm Edition (DGG), Janowitz (DGG), Bumbry (DGG), Badura-Skoda (DGG/Westminster), Christa Ludwig Editions (EMI, DGG), Christian Ferras (DGG) ... I could go on and on. The problem is will we live long enough to hear it all, and particularly to enjoy it all? The other thought is that I hope they never stop manufacturing top-quality CD players or we will be out of business!
barney wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:48 pm
Lance, it's really shameful. I have many of these sets you list, and so little listening time. I just dip here and there rather than properly listening in the way we all used to do when we were falling in love with the repertoire, and many of the posters here still do. My commitment goes up and down, in practice, which is natural when I am still earning a living, married, with children and two dogs who need two walks a day. (The children, mercifully, provide their own exercise; the youngest is 30.) I could go on, but everyone is in a similar boat.
I have, of the above, Brendel, Perahia, both Fricsays (yes, I have dipped rather than delved), Rubinstein, Abbado, Richter, Mozart (incuding Mozart 225, the entire life works), about five Decca Sound boxes, Joyce, Campoli, Westminster, Bamberg, zukerman, Oistrakh, Wunderlich, Janowitz and Ludwig. And Theresa Berganza.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:29 pm

Well Barney, TIME is the one precious thing we have left, whatever it is. And there is no way on this earth we can hear everything with what time remains. Our discs accumulates, and many will dip and choose depending on the repertoire/artists one admires most. So don't feel alone. Yes, your priorities are the family ... wife, children, health issues, space for storage, money (ugh!), and so much more and I've done all that, been there, and still am addicted to great music and performing artists. So don't feel alone at all. Truth be known, we are all kind of in the same boat if people are honest with themselves. We really need to have several lifetimes on earth of at least 80 years each, but it wasn't meant to be.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief