Chia Chou, fabulous pianist with Trio Parnassus

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Chia Chou, fabulous pianist with Trio Parnassus

Post by Lance » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:11 pm

Anyone who loves great chamber music playing surely must have some of the recordings of Trio Parnassus who have recorded most of the best-known piano trios in music in addition to trios that are barely known even by composers of note. The pianist for Parnassus Trio has produced some 40 recordings. I have just about all of them. I have not seen anything from the Trio for the past several years, however, which I consider one of the very best, recording in the highest-quality recordings for Dabringhaus und Grimm [MD&G].

In the meantime, I have connected with the pianist who advised me that he retired from the Trio in 2014. German pianist Johann Blanchard replaced Chia Chou. One recording came out with Trio Parnassus/Blanchard of Cecile Chaminade's chamber music. But the Trio was disbanded eight months later for whatever reason. On the other hand, we are left with an incredible chamber music legacy in which Chia Chou was involved.

Chia Chou debuted with the Los Angeles Philharmonic in 1984 in concerts with the Hollywood Bowl. While born in Taiwan, he was raised in Toronto, Ontario, Canada and is now Professor for Chamber Music at the University for Music and Performing Arts in Graz, Austria and only plays occasional solo concerts. He is also working on some projects that deal with helping athletes perform better using techniques based on classical music.

Chou was a member of the Trio since 1990, so it was a long-term, wonderful relationship. No wonder pianist Rudolf Serkin invited him to participate in the Marlboro Music Festival in Vermont! Chou is a standout pianist whose playing is refined, virtuosic, blends with the other instruments, has a superb piano tone, and above all, creates some of the most incredible sensitivity as a pianist with colleagues I have ever heard. ♫
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Belle

Re: Chia Chou, fabulous pianist with Trio Parnassus

Post by Belle » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:20 pm

I do remember when Chia Chou won the Sydney International Piano Competition; it was 1981 and I was pregnant with my youngest son. Some years ago I lost interest in the competition because I follow the Chopin and others now on the internet, but I do remember him being a fine pianist. Imagine a small city like Graz (pop: 325,000) having its own high quality school of music with such a staff member!! Would not happen here in Australia!

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:45 pm

Ah, but Sue, Australia and New Zealand have given so much to the world in terms of performers, and some great composers (Grainger for one). Australians don't need to apologize for "nuthin!" Think of the pianists and singers alone from Australia! Love Australia!!!
Belle wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:20 pm
I do remember when Chia Chou won the Sydney International Piano Competition; it was 1981 and I was pregnant with my youngest son. Some years ago I lost interest in the competition because I follow the Chopin and others now on the internet, but I do remember him being a fine pianist. Imagine a small city like Graz (pop: 325,000) having its own high quality school of music with such a staff member!! Would not happen here in Australia!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Belle

Post by Belle » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:01 am

Thanks for your kind words. We would love to have more American visitors, but it's the arduous journey by air. Aversion therapy!!! :mrgreen: