Glenn Gould - Live Recordings, legal or otherwise

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Glenn Gould - Live Recordings, legal or otherwise

Post by Lance » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:05 pm

I was doing some research on among my favourite J. S. Bach performers, GLENN GOULD, who is responsible for revealing to me the secrets of the Goldberg Variations in his first recording made in 1955 for Columbia Records. In between the time of Gould's unprecedented passing at age 50 and the passing of his first producer, Howard H. Scott, in 2012, it was my pleasure to spend many hours with Howard Scott and discuss Gould and so many artists with whom Scott produced and recorded. The list is staggering. In fact I recorded hours of our conversations.

Coming back to Glenn Gould, I collected everything I could, even recordings that were not released on Columbia/Sony. Many of these recordings appeared on Music & Arts, Aristotipia, BIS (Stockholm material 1958), Classical Society, Fanfare (with his teacher), Mastersound (Hallmark & private recordings), CBC, Nuova Era, Orfeo, Price-Less, Q-Disc, West Hills Archives, and probably a few others. Apparently Sony Classical (and Columbia before the takeover) along with the Gould family were fastidious about unauthorized releases and quickly took legal action to have certain recordings withdrawn that were unauthorized by the powers to be. On Music & Arts alone, I have nine CDs (there may have been more?). six on the CBC label (probably all made before Gould signed with Columbia). One commercial set on the BIS label still survives from 1958, two concerted works (with Georg Ludwig, conductor), and three solo pieces.

But NOW, Sony Classical has issued two CDs of live material that is not included in the Big Box Glenn Gould:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... _QL65_.jpg
German Sony 28782
Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 3 in C Minor, Op. 37 with the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, Herbert von Karajan, conductor (r. live 1957, Berlin)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... _QL65_.jpg
German Sony 80809
"The Secret Live Tapes"
a) JS Bach: Piano Concerto #1 in d BWV 1052 w/Concertgebouw, Dimitri Mitropoulos, conductor [r.1958, first authorized release, previous I believe on Orfeo]
b) Beethoven: Piano Concerto #5 in E-flat Major, Op. 73 (Emperor) with Buffalo (NY) Phlharmonic Orchestra, Josef Krips, conductor [first release ever, r.1960)
c) Schonberg: Piano Concerto, Op. 42 with NYP, Dimitri Mitropoulos, conductor (r.1958)

So, you may want to supplement your complete Glenn Gould Edition with the above.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]