Fabio Luisi to Dallas

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

Fabio Luisi to Dallas

Post by lennygoran » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:17 am

Fabio Luisi Will Follow Jaap van Zweden as Conductor in Dallas

By Michael Cooper

June 4, 2018

The maestro pipeline between Dallas and New York is now flowing in both directions. The Dallas Symphony Orchestra announced on Monday that it has chosen a successor to Jaap van Zweden, who built its reputation over the past decade and takes the helm of the New York Philharmonic next season.

Dallas’s next music director? Fabio Luisi, the Italian conductor who won acclaim for his recent stint as principal conductor of the Metropolitan Opera.

Mr. Luisi, 59, said in an interview that his plans in Dallas include conducting an opera each year, starting with Strauss’s “Salome”; focusing on the bread-and-butter Romantic repertoire; and commissioning 20 new works over the course of a decade — at least half from female composers.

“We should not only keep the tradition alive, but establish a new tradition,” he said in a phone interview from Switzerland, where he is general music director of the Zurich Opera.

Mr. Luisi’s ascent to the front ranks of conductors has sometimes seemed more a slow burn than spontaneous combustion. He first conducted the Dallas Symphony back in 2002, but did not return until March, when the music director search was already well underway.

“I knew the orchestra had made huge improvements under Jaap, but I was really overwhelmed by the quality of this orchestra and the spirit they had,” said Mr. Luisi, adding that he had been especially impressed that the ensemble had played the last concert of the run with as much intensity and dedication as the first. “It was a very, very nice relationship in those few days.”

The concerts were rapturously received. “Could this be the next music director of the Dallas Symphony Orchestra?” the critic Scott Cantrell wrote in the Dallas Morning News, calling it “one of the most compelling guest conductor appearances in recent memory.”

It was during that engagement that Mr. Luisi was asked if he would be interested in the job, and he said that he would — if the scheduling could be worked out: In addition to his post at the Zurich Opera, Mr. Luisi is the principal conductor of the Danish National Symphony Orchestra and is succeeding Zubin Mehta as the music director of the Maggio Musicale Fiorentino.

He will lead a concert in Dallas next spring, become music director designate the following season, and officially take the post in the 2020-21 season. In that season he will conduct the orchestra for only seven weeks, which is low for a music director, but he plans to expand his time commitment through the course of his five-year contract.

Earlier this decade, many observers had expected Mr. Luisi to become the next music director of the Met. He won over critics and audiences while filling in for an ailing James Levine in the midst of a new production of Wagner’s “Ring” cycle, and was named principal conductor in 2011. But Mr. Levine returned after two seasons away and resumed his post. (Mr. Levine stepped down to an emeritus role in 2016, after more health problems, and was fired from that position this year after a sex abuse scandal. Yannick Nézet-Séguin takes over next season.)

Mr. Luisi, whose wife, Barbara Luisi, is a violinist and photographer, and who started his own perfume line in his spare time, said that he looked forward to getting to know Dallas. He said he has already been favorably impressed by its golf courses, as well as by its vibrant arts scene.

“What I have seen is that people are very open, and very nice,” he said, “and very interested in music and culture.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/04/arts ... collection

John F

Re: Fabio Luisi to Dallas

Post by John F » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:25 am

As reported yesterday by jserraglio and commented on by me in "Fabio Luisi is Dallas Symphony's new music director":

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=48434
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:57 am

Thanks, I missed that. Regards, Len

Modernistfan

Post by Modernistfan » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:14 pm

No knock on Luisi, but it seems from recent appointments in the United States that any random assistant vice-Kapellmeister of the Kleinmachnow Philharmoniker has the inside track over any American candidate. It seems that women and people of color don't even get considered.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:18 am

Modernistfan wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:14 pm
It seems that women and people of color don't even get considered.
I believe I read in the Dallas Morning News article printed in a similar thread below this one that more than one woman was approached about this position but told the DSO that they were too committed elsewhere to consider it.