Pianist Paul Lewis live today

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Pianist Paul Lewis live today

Post by Rach3 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:31 pm

Paul Lewis, live from London earlier today, exquisite Beethoven and Brahms ( I did not hear the Haydn ), some of the best playing I've heard of Lewis , plus some comments from him :

Beethoven: 11 Bagatelles, Op.119

Haydn: Sonata in E flat, Hob.XVI/49

Haydn: Sonata in B minor, Hob.XVI/32

Brahms: 4 Pieces, Op.119

Encore : Schubert Allegretto in C minor

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b539s7

barney

Re: Pianist Paul Lewis live today

Post by barney » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:40 pm

I love Paul Lewis.
I went to your link, registered, then the site said "go to my music" to play the tracks. I can't find that on the page. Am I just incompetent, or is there some trick?

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:15 pm

barney wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:40 pm
... is there some trick?
Sorry for the trouble. I have followed BBCR3 for years, and no longer recall what steps I had to go thru, if any. I now have no trouble with the links, nor do I recall ever registering or using "My Music " , but as I say it has been years.

Try this : Rather than the link I gave, go to : https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3
At the page top, in the black " I-Player Radio " bar, click on " Schedules" at the upper right in that black bar. Then at next page, upper left, click on the red circled "3". That will bring up a daily listing of all programs you can advance thru by scrolling down in each day and with the next day's button at the page bottom . Click on the program name in a given day, and you'll get a window with a picture, the program works , some narrative, and a red " I " - like icon arrow at the picture left ( icon for " I-Player "). Click on the icon and you should be off to the races ( or concert hall in this case ).

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:49 am

Undoubtedly a fine pianist. I just don't have it in my heart to start collecting his recordings though. Too many others occupy that position already.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:48 am

Lance wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:49 am
Undoubtedly a fine pianist. I just don't have it in my heart to start collecting his recordings though. Too many others occupy that position already.
I agree with you that Paul Lewis is a fine pianist, Lance. However, I cannot recommend his set of the Beethoven Sonatas, which has moments of discombobulation that should not have been published. I do wish he had waited a few more years. OTOH, his set of the Beethoven Concerti is quite excellent, and should be acquired as a fine example of modern pianism.

barney

Post by barney » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:13 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:15 pm
barney wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:40 pm
... is there some trick?
Sorry for the trouble. I have followed BBCR3 for years, and no longer recall what steps I had to go thru, if any. I now have no trouble with the links, nor do I recall ever registering or using "My Music " , but as I say it has been years.

Try this : Rather than the link I gave, go to : https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3
At the page top, in the black " I-Player Radio " bar, click on " Schedules" at the upper right in that black bar. Then at next page, upper left, click on the red circled "3". That will bring up a daily listing of all programs you can advance thru by scrolling down in each day and with the next day's button at the page bottom . Click on the program name in a given day, and you'll get a window with a picture, the program works , some narrative, and a red " I " - like icon arrow at the picture left ( icon for " I-Player "). Click on the icon and you should be off to the races ( or concert hall in this case ).
Thank you. Success!

barney

Post by barney » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:23 pm

Alas, I wrote too soon. What I get are 60-second previews, not the whole recording. Never mind - there are inexhaustible depths on YouTube, so I'll let the BBC go.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:19 pm

barney wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:23 pm
Alas, I wrote too soon. What I get are 60-second previews, not the whole recording.
Sorry :

Dont click on the black arrow icon under the “ Music Played “ section in the lower half of the page. Those are only excerpts.

Do click on the odd-looking, square -box “ i “ icon located in the left hand corner of the much larger picture in the top half of the page , the picture above the narrative section. The square box will appear black until you move your browser cursor to it, at which point the box will turn red and you click on it.