New Debussy piano cd of historical recordings

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

New Debussy piano cd of historical recordings

Post by Rach3 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:13 am

From Arbiter Records ; I have not heard yet:

http://arbiterrecords.org/catalog/debussys-traces/

John F

Re: New Debussy piano cd of historical recordings

Post by John F » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:10 pm

That looks very much worthwhile. I hope it does well enough that Arbiter goes on to make another. George Copeland, an American pianist who was a friend and favored interpreter of Debussy, made some recordings that have not been published except on a limited edition private LP; they more or less duplicate his repertoire on the 10" MGM LP and Victor 78s but I think they're better. Among the selections is Copeland's piano version of "Afternoon of a Faun" which he played for Debussy and the composer approved it.
John Francis

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:02 pm

I am pleased the name of George Copeland came up. As a very young collector, Copeland's MGM records were added to my then meager collection. I still have them! In the meantime, a few CDs releases of Copeland's work have been issued (probably out of print by now for the most part). Those interested may like to know about them.

• Naxos Historical 110658: JS Bach piano transcriptions (Copeland is included)
• Nimbus 8807: music of Debussy on piano rolls (Copeland included) [not recommended]
• Pearl 0001: George Copeland complete RCA 78-rpm solo recordings
• Pearl 0121: George Copeland rare private recordings (Schumann, Rameau, Mozart, Debussy, Satie and Albeniz)
• Romophone 2-CD set 81017: Copeland accompanies soprano Lucrezia Bori

The new Arbiter two-CD issue looks like something worth acquiring!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

John F

Post by John F » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:09 am

Another pianist associated with Debussy is E. Robert Schmitz, who not only recorded much of the piano music for Victor but wrote a book about it. His approach was not coloristic, like Gieseking's, but intellectual, as his book reveals. For that reason, perhaps, his recordings didn't get much approval at the time or much attention since. I just looked in Amazon and none are presently available in any form, and YouTube has just a few selections, most of them piano rolls rather than the Victors. So if Arbiter goes on to do more Debussy historical recordings, they should include some of Schmitz's best, such as "Le Cathedrale Engloutie" from the Preludes Book 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKo_9BpSzyE
John Francis