Mother & Son Piano Duo: Helen & Harvey Davies

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Mother & Son Piano Duo: Helen & Harvey Davies

Post by Lance » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:10 am

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... _QL65_.jpg
Prima Facie 083 (Recorded 2001)

Helen and Harvey Davies, mother and son piano duo [one piano, four hands]

•Mozart: Andante with Five Variations in G Major, K. 501
•Czerny: Fantasy on Scottish Melodies, Op. 467 [World Premiere Recording]
•Mendelssohn: Seven Songs Without Words (arr. 4-hands by Mendelssohn]
•Edward German: Suite for Piano Four Hands (four individual pieces)
•Fauré: Dolly, Op. 56

Just my kind of piano recital. I'm not sure what took so long to publish this disc having been recorded in 2001. Perhaps it was available on another label. But our old friend Carl Czerny (1791-1857) was quite a guy! Any of us who play the piano were surely exposed to his exercises to make us better pianists. But he wrote much more than that material. In this world premiere recording, his Fantasy on Scottish Melodies, Op. 467 is a collection of pieces commencing with the Blue Bells of Scotland and takes off with other Scottish melodies. Turns out to be a very interesting piece, and well played by mother and son. Why the disc is entitled "Four Hand Favourites" beats me since the Czerny is world premiere. Mendelssohn's Songs Without Words are well known to us in their original form. Fauré's Dolly Suite is one piece that is played frequently. The opening Mozart, K. 401 may be better known to us as perhaps an organ piece or in some other Mozart arrangement. Doesn't matter, the disc is a good listen. Naturally, I had to hear the Czerny piece first and was pleasantly surprised. An esoteric disc, but nonetheless very enjoyable and reasonably recorded.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Re: Mother & Son Piano Duo: Helen & Harvey Davies

Post by maestrob » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:10 am

Lance, where DO you come up with these goodies?? Thanks for the tip-off: I love four-hand piano music! Czerny was not a great composer, but his music is worthy of attention.

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Mother & Son Piano Duo: Helen & Harvey Davies

Post by Lance » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:30 pm

Hi Brian ... well, I look for just about anything by Czerny — don't forget, he was closely connected to Ludwig van Beethoven and was among the first to recognize Beethoven's hearing problems! There is so much more to Czerny than his still-used-today piano exercises. There's piano concertos, one even for piano four-hands and orchestra. Anton Kuerti recorded some marvelous Czerny on the Analekta label. There's a marvelous 3-CD set on Doremi with Kuerti as well. Some gems on Dabringhaus und Grimm. Indeed, all kinds of really good music and not just for piano. There are some very interesting Czerny works for piano performed by Dagul and Beyer on Four Hands label that are actually hard to find. I got my copies directly from the pianists. Once one gets "caught" on Czerny it doesn't stop.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]