WQXR recommended piano cd's

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

WQXR recommended piano cd's

Post by Rach3 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:16 am

Other than the Gould, Rubinstein, Hough, and Zimerman, and some of the individual performances on other cd’s , I dont have these :

https://www.wqxr.org/story/essential-piano-recordings

Greilshammer is a usually interesting pianist, and his cd mentioned looks interesting ; anyone here heard it ? TIA.

John F

Re: WQXR recommended piano cd's

Post by John F » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:30 am

Robert Schumann’s Piano Concerto is the greatest in classical music. Fighting words?
Yes. What use is an assertion like this? It gets the article off to a bad start from which it never recovers. The authors are certainly entitled to their personal preferences, but they pretend to an authority belied by their actual choices, quite a few of which are eccentric.
John Francis

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:52 pm

It is unusual to make a comment like that about Schumann's Piano Concerto. I love it too, but ... it's really more of a personal opinion. Some of the items on WQXR's list are good, but there many others totally left out. Even for me, a pianophile, it would difficult to select 10 recordings of the most recommended piano CDs.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

barney

Post by barney » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:17 am

Lance wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:52 pm
It is unusual to make a comment like that about Schumann's Piano Concerto. I love it too, but ... it's really more of a personal opinion. Some of the items on WQXR's list are good, but there many others totally left out. Even for me, a pianophile, it would difficult to select 10 recordings of the most recommended piano CDs.
It's daft! I couldn't pick a top 100, which naturally must include a top 10. And that opinion about the Schumann is one I doubt many music-lovers share. Let's just agree that it's a work of genius.
It's foolish ever to pronounce something the greatest. Whenever I'm tempted to do so, my opinion is reversed by a rival the next day.

John F

Post by John F » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:54 am

My problem with the Schumann is its slow movement, too short and slight to rank the concerto so highly. Any number of piano concerto slow movements from Bach to Bartok are more important music and, for me, much more moving.
John Francis

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:45 am

John F wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:54 am
My problem with the Schumann is its slow movement, too short and slight to rank the concerto so highly. Any number of piano concerto slow movements from Bach to Bartok are more important music and, for me, much more moving.
Agreed, although the Schumann PC may occupy a place among Romantic PC's in the manner the Mendelssohn VC does among Romantic VC's. Is the final mov. of the Schumann influenced by the final mov. of LvB's " Emperor " ? Schumann's Op.17 Fantasy in mind.