Cassettes

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

maestrob

Cassettes

Post by maestrob » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:50 am

Every once in a while I pull out an ancient cassette, so I just bought a new deck to play them for roughly $89 just to keep my collection available. The ones I wanted to transfer to CDs have already been done, and quite a few of the commercial issues have become unplayable, so they've been replaced with CDs (which of course have superior sound).

Question is, how many of us still use cassettes, and how often? In a car player, perhaps?

Still available at amazon:

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Cassettes

Post by Lance » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:18 am

I still have several high-quality cassette decks. I've always loved the convenience of them and yes, have many myself of some live performances, and for other uses as well. I'd be curious to know which deck you recently bought for $89 and whether one can record on them as well. Can you furnish any info?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:13 pm

Lance wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:18 am
I still have several high-quality cassette decks. I've always loved the convenience of them and yes, have many myself of some live performances, and for other uses as well. I'd be curious to know which deck you recently bought for $89 and whether one can record on them as well. Can you furnish any info?
Here's a picture (below). It's made by Ion, a brand I don't know, but it will serve the purpose of playing the few cassettes I have left, even though it has bells & whistles attached!. I did have a high quality deck, which died on me after only five years, so this time I opted to spend less......

https://www.amazon.com/ION-Audio-Casset ... +tape+deck

John F

Post by John F » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:10 pm

I still have quite a few video cassettes, and what it takes to play them, but I haven't viewed any of them in years.
John Francis

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:12 pm

John F wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:10 pm
I still have quite a few video cassettes, and what it takes to play them, but I haven't viewed any of them in years.
I've heard rumors that the last factory that used to make parts for VHS recorders has closed in Asia, so the ones available on amazon will be the last players we'll be able to buy. I just bought one last year (a two-fer linked to a DVD recorder), and expect that this will be my last machine of its kind. Tragic! :(

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:43 pm

It's showing as $109 + tax from Amazon Prime. But I have a couple of questions:

1) Does it have a headphone jack?
2) Can I plug in a two-channel mixer in the back, which will also utilize a stereo microphone and plugs to attach a CD player?

It appears none of the name brands we know so well make cassette recorder/players any longer (with a headphone jack). Many people I know wish they could still buy high-quality cassette decks. Such is life.
maestrob wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:13 pm
Lance wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:18 am
Here's a picture (below). It's made by Ion, a brand I don't know, but it will serve the purpose of playing the few cassettes I have left, even though it has bells & whistles attached!. I did have a high quality deck, which died on me after only five years, so this time I opted to spend less......

https://www.amazon.com/ION-Audio-Casset ... +tape+deck
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:04 am

Hi, Lance!

Well, I actually haven't opened the box yet, but I don't think it has a headphone jack. This machine is specifically made to create mp3 files on your computer, but I'm only assuming you can plug it into your stereo with RCA plugs. I'll let you know when I have time to open the box.......

Beckmesser

Post by Beckmesser » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:00 pm

I'm in the process of cleaning out the acquisitions of 35 years living in the same house, among them the audio and VHS cassettes.

I assumed that the best of the audio cassettes have already been issued as CDs and had no qualms about consigning them to the rubbish bin. I never felt any special fondness for the format.

I used to record a lot of TV programs on VHS cassettes for viewing at my convenience. I had about six to eight bankers boxes full of them. After a little online searching, I discovered that nearly everything that I would care to see again is available on DVD or for streaming. I thinned out the collection to two cartons.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:15 pm

maestrob wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:50 am
Question is, how many of us still use cassettes, and how often? In a car player, perhaps?
Brian I have plenty of these and use them at home and in my older car-a Saturn 1995 that no longer has to be state inspected! Listened to a Beethoven 5th sym with B Walter while in the kitchen just tonight! Regards, Len :D