Music of Lou Harrison ( 1917-2003 )

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Post Reply
Rach3
Posts: 560
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:17 am

Music of Lou Harrison ( 1917-2003 )

Post by Rach3 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:24 am

Lou Harrison's Piano Concerto ( 1983-85), Keith Jarrett, Naoto Otomo,New Japan Phil., ca.1996 New World cd :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d85BW_ZUs0&t=67s

On the same cd, Harrison's Suite for Violin,Piano and Small Orchestra ( 1988 ) , same cd and forces with one Lucy Stoltzman, violin :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VviS5bUC6h8

A cd I'll be acquiring.

Lance
Site Administrator
Posts: 17707
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:27 am
Location: Binghamton, New York
Contact:

Re: Music of Lou Harrison ( 1917-2003 )

Post by Lance » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:41 pm

Please let me know what you think of it. It's not on my high priority list. Maybe you will change my mind! :?
Rach3 wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:24 am
Lou Harrison's Piano Concerto ( 1983-85), Keith Jarrett, Naoto Otomo,New Japan Phil., ca.1996 New World cd :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d85BW_ZUs0&t=67s

On the same cd, Harrison's Suite for Violin,Piano and Small Orchestra ( 1988 ) , same cd and forces with one Lucy Stoltzman, violin :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VviS5bUC6h8

A cd I'll be acquiring.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief
______________________________________________________

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Image

maestrob
Posts: 5656
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 am

Re: Music of Lou Harrison ( 1917-2003 )

Post by maestrob » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:00 pm

Lou Harrison remained a cult figure all his life, because of his refusal to go along with the music as noise crowd. There is quite a bit of eastern influence in some of his music (The gamelan features prominently.). The piano concerto is quite listenable, as is the other piece posted (new to my ears, so thank-you! :) ).

Enjoyable, but not great music, then.

Rach3
Posts: 560
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:17 am

Re: Music of Lou Harrison ( 1917-2003 )

Post by Rach3 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:32 pm

Lance wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:41 pm
Please let me know what you think of it. It's not on my high priority list. Maybe you will change my mind! :?
CD arrived.Good sound considering the PC was a live,1986 performance,the Suite a 1988 studio, the cd released in 1988. Very enjoyable, but you can judge the music for yourself on the YT's. Per the liner notes, Harrison studied in San Francisco with Henry Cowell,and Harrison's classmate,friend,was John Cage.They used to haunt Chinatown and the Cantonese opera there.The piano and orchestra sections are not conventional , " well-tempered " tuning, the Suite uses a "tack piano" to mimic harpsichord.Harrison eschewed timpani and snares, apparently in all his works, an Eastern influence on him. The "Stampede" mov. of the Concerto a bit long, but both works very engaging for me.

Lance
Site Administrator
Posts: 17707
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:27 am
Location: Binghamton, New York
Contact:

Re: Music of Lou Harrison ( 1917-2003 )

Post by Lance » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:15 am

Appreciate this information. Will give it a listen. Thanks!
Rach3 wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:32 pm
Lance wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:41 pm
Please let me know what you think of it. It's not on my high priority list. Maybe you will change my mind! :?
CD arrived.Good sound considering the PC was a live,1986 performance,the Suite a 1988 studio, the cd released in 1988. Very enjoyable, but you can judge the music for yourself on the YT's. Per the liner notes, Harrison studied in San Francisco with Henry Cowell,and Harrison's classmate,friend,was John Cage.They used to haunt Chinatown and the Cantonese opera there.The piano and orchestra sections are not conventional , " well-tempered " tuning, the Suite uses a "tack piano" to mimic harpsichord.Harrison eschewed timpani and snares, apparently in all his works, an Eastern influence on him. The "Stampede" mov. of the Concerto a bit long, but both works very engaging for me.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief
______________________________________________________

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests