Brandon Ridenour, first-class trumpeter

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Brandon Ridenour, first-class trumpeter

Post by Lance » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:40 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwhuz8j_0TA

Because of my more-than-casual interest in the trumpet (my father was a pupil of the legendary Ernest S. Williams [Stokowski's trumpeter, Philadelphia Orchestra] and my father taught me the trumpet), I am always seeking recordings of cornet or trumpet players who have the most beautiful tone and the vibrato of the world's finest singers. Among my favourites has long been Armando Ghitalla (Boston Symphony), Bud Herseth (Chicago Symphony), and a great trumpeter nearby at Ithaca College (Ithaca NY), Frank Gabriel Campos. There were others I greatly admired such as Wynton Marsalis, Maurice André (of course!), Gerard Schwarz, Timofei Dokschizer (Russian), Hakan Hardenberger, and Sergei Nakariakov among others. Rafael Mendez, too, had a great career, who I met in person. But back to the most beautiful tonal properties, the first three I mentioned are at the top of the list.

Of young Brandon Ridenour, himself from a highly musical family - a fabulous pianist as a father - check out the link above for Del Staigers arrangement of the Carnival of Venice.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

John F

Re: Brandon Ridenour, first-class trumpeter

Post by John F » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:21 am

For me, the greatest solo trumpet player I've ever heard is Timofei Dokschitser, at one time in the Bolshoi Theater orchestra and documented on many Melodiya recordings. His legato line is like a violinist's; I've never heard such seamless phrasing from a trumpeter. How does Ridenour compare?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4QCeQvxEU8

Bud Herseth was the greatest orchestral trumpet player - who can deny it? I first heard him in the Kubelik/Chicago "Pictures at an Exhibition" on Mercury, without knowing who he was, and ever since he's been the measure of orchestral trumpet playing. But he didn't record much solo music, the Haydn concerto is all I've heard, and in that I'd say he's surpassed by Dokschitser, though not by much.
John Francis

david johnson

Post by david johnson » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:20 am

You guys have mentioned some greats, for sure. Lance, I studied out of the Williams Scales book in college. I seem to remember he also had a transposition method book.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:13 am

Like you, I have a passion for Timofei Dokschitser and have 29 of his recordings, the first one being on RCA (via their Melodiya connection), then a bunch on Arts Classics and even more on Marcophon, Sonora, and an original Melodiya. It took a lot of looking to find this material, but it does exist. His repertoire was extraordinary.

As for Herseth, the other overwhelmingly glorious recording of his is in Mahler's Symphony No. 3 with Marilyn Horne, Chicago Symphony under Levine. Why Herseth never recorded more, especially as a recitalist, is beyond me. Outside of the Haydn Trumpet Concerto, it would have been wonderful to hear him in the Hummel. There is so much material available for the trumpet, even in transcriptions (which Dokschitser excelled in).
John F wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:21 am
For me, the greatest solo trumpet player I've ever heard is Timofei Dokschitser, at one time in the Bolshoi Theater orchestra and documented on many Melodiya recordings. His legato line is like a violinist's; I've never heard such seamless phrasing from a trumpeter. How does Ridenour compare?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4QCeQvxEU8

Bud Herseth was the greatest orchestral trumpet player - who can deny it? I first heard him in the Kubelik/Chicago "Pictures at an Exhibition" on Mercury, without knowing who he was, and ever since he's been the measure of orchestral trumpet playing. But he didn't record much solo music, the Haydn concerto is all I've heard, and in that I'd say he's surpassed by Dokschitser, though not by much.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Heck148

Post by Heck148 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:11 pm

John F wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:21 am
Bud Herseth was the greatest orchestral trumpet player - who can deny it? I first heard him in the Kubelik/Chicago "Pictures at an Exhibition" on Mercury, without knowing who he was, and ever since he's been the measure of orchestral trumpet playing. But he didn't record much solo music,
Actually, Herseth recorded a fair amount of solo literature, but it wasn't for general commercial distribution - lots of archival performances, which are amazing...he did record the Brandenburg #2, in a stunning recording for RCA "Music from Ravinia"...rivalled only by Maurice Andre....but I like Herseth's sound better...he pops off those high Gs like they are middle Cs.. :) :shock:
There have been some great grest orchestral trumpeters - Herseth,for me is n#1, but Wm Vacchiano [NYPO], Harry Glantz[NBC], Bernie Adelstein [Cleveland], Maurice Murphy [LSO] are/were also superb trumpeters...

The acting principal trumpet in Chicago presently is Mark Ridenour - a splendid player with great chops - are the two Ridenours related??

Heck148

Post by Heck148 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:14 pm

Lance wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:13 am
Why Herseth never recorded more, especially as a recitalist, is beyond me. Outside of the Haydn Trumpet Concerto, it would have been wonderful to hear him in the Hummel.
Herseth did record the Hummel E maj Concerto - from live concert - archival set - <<Soloists of the Orchestra II>> it is predictably outstanding....he also recorded some Vivaldi on another archival release.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:09 am

It is interesting you mention the CSO Archive Recordings. I never checked my other-than-major labels for Herseth. If you are talking about Volume 15 of Cat. No. 01-2, then I must have the Hummel trumpet concerto (there are many soloists on this volume). I also show Herseth on CSO Archives CSO/92, but I have to do some digging to determine what it is exactly. THANK YOU for bringing this up!
Heck148 wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:14 pm
Lance wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:13 am
Why Herseth never recorded more, especially as a recitalist, is beyond me. Outside of the Haydn Trumpet Concerto, it would have been wonderful to hear him in the Hummel.
Herseth did record the Hummel E maj Concerto - from live concert - archival set - <<Soloists of the Orchestra II>> it is predictably outstanding....he also recorded some Vivaldi on another archival release.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

John F

Post by John F » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:29 am

Orchestras and opera companies publishing recordings of their live performances, usually radio broadcasts, is a fairly recent development, filling the void left when one record company after another dropped out of the classical music business. If only the New York Philharmonic and Covent Garden had done this in the 1930s! But in many cases the organizations did not keep their own sound archives, that was up to the broadcasters, home recordists, and eventually some libraries. The Metropolitan Opera's archive of its broadcasts was begun and much of the acquisition was done by Dario Soria at the New York Public Library and the Met Guild. And live performance recordings don't really take the place of edited studio recordings, they're a different breed. Best to have both.
John Francis

THEHORN

Post by THEHORN » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:59 pm

Chris Martin, who had the difficult job of succeeding Herseth in Chicago but did an outstanding job, is now principal trumpet of the New York Philharmonic, succeeding Philip Smith , who is also a terrific trumpeter .