Gina Bachauer Rare Recordings release

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

maestrob

Gina Bachauer Rare Recordings release

Post by maestrob » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:54 am

Gina Bachauer is rarely spoken of these days, though she studied with Rachmaninoff and Cortot. This 4 CD box has just been released, and I plan to acquire it at a reasonable $35 (including shipping) from amazon. The composers are listed on the cover, but so far no tracks listing for mp3 downloads on amazon. Newly restored, her recordings date from 1949 forward, so the sound should be good.

NB: She spent WWII in Egypt concertizing for the troops. Admirable!

John F

Re: Gina Bachauer Rare Recordings release

Post by John F » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:09 am

She had an earthy sense of humor, according to Peter Katin (onetime member of CMG and CompuServe Music Forum). He had a repertoire of Bachauer stories which, I guess, died with him - unfortunately I don't remember any of them.
John Francis

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:59 am

Are there any standout recordings of hers that would be essential for a pianophile ? TIA.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:21 am

Gina Bachauer looms large in my admiration. I always think of her as being the "Lady Horowitz", such an incredible technique and powerful sound but with all the beauties of great piano artistry. This looks like a wonderful set. No doubt, due to the European copyright laws, Hanssler has picked up some of these recordings from the French EMI Rarissimes set [85260] and probably also from Appian's single release CD [5643], the latter of which is entitled "First HMV Recordings, 1949-1951." The International Piano Archives/Maryland also issued an all-French CD [IPAM 1202]. Any of her Mercury recordings [now under license to the Universal/Decca Group] are first-class recordings in her repertoire. The Hanssler Profil set is not listed on Amazon's UK site as yet and I see Amazon/USA is talking about shipping in one to three months. But I think the set would be worth the wait.
maestrob wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:54 am

Gina Bachauer is rarely spoken of these days, though she studied with Rachmaninoff and Cortot. This 4 CD box has just been released, and I plan to acquire it at a reasonable $35 (including shipping) from amazon. The composers are listed on the cover, but so far no tracks listing for mp3 downloads on amazon. Newly restored, her recordings date from 1949 forward, so the sound should be good.

NB: She spent WWII in Egypt concertizing for the troops. Admirable!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:57 am

Bachauer at 47 , recital in Bergen, Norway (Radio Broadcast) , 6.1.1960 , not great sound but worth hearing esp. the Chopin :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA92si57KU8

Bach/Busoni: Toccata, Adagio and Fugue, BWV 564
Chopin: Fantasie in F minor, Op. 49
Stravinsky: Petroushka

Encore- ( ! ) : Brahms , Variations on a Theme of Paganini, Bk. II

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:04 pm

If you enjoyed the 1960 Bergen recital posted earlier in this thread, I believe you will want to hear this recital as well.

Seattle, WA, 1958 :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMdgV89TVs8&t=27s

Beethoven - Piano Sonata op. 2 No. 2
Brahms - Piano Sonata No. 3 op. 5
Debussy - Les sons et les parfums tournent dans l'air du soir (incomplete)
Debussy - Ondine
Debussy - Ce qu'a vu le vent d'Ouest
Chopin - Etudes op. 25 Nos. 5 & 11
Mompou - Les Jeunes filles au jardin
Mussorgsky - Great Gate of Kiev
Chopin - Etude op. 25 No. 1
Chopin - Fantasy op. 49
Chopin - Etude 25 No. 12

Probably better live, still wonderful playing here, in smaller scale works on this recording.

Scriabin, Op.24 Preludes, complete, I believe a studio recording from 1958 ( age 45 ) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbcMYtgomds