Pianist Vadym Kholodenko

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Pianist Vadym Kholodenko

Post by Rach3 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:50 am

2013 Cliburn Competition winner , a pianist I follow you may want to hear , this live recital at a Chopin festival in Poland in 2016:

Chopin

Berceuse in D flat, Op 57

Nocturnes in F sharp major and G minor, Op 15 Nos 5 and 6.

Nocturnes in C minor and F sharp major, Op 48

Scherzo No.1 in B minor, Op 20

Scherzo No.4 in E major, Op 54

Liszt
Transcendental Studies Nos 9 in A flat 'Ricordanza', 6 in G minor 'Vision', 5 in B flat 'Feux follets' 

Scriabin

Piano Sonata No.4 in F sharp, Op 30

Piano Sonata No.5, Op 53

Chopin
Mazurka in G, Op 50 No 1 

Scriabin
Fantasy, Op 28 

Schumann, arr. Godowsky : 
Rundegesang 
( from Schumann's Op.68 ? )

maestrob

Re: Pianist Vadym Kholodenko

Post by maestrob » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:06 am

This is the only album I have by Kholodenko (Ukranian?). He's quite awesome, IMHO. I would love to hear the above recital, but couldn't find a link. He's got a new recording of Prokofiev II & V, which is on my Want List......

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:02 pm

maestrob wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:06 am
This is the only album I have by Kholodenko (Ukranian?). He's quite awesome, IMHO. I would love to hear the above recital, but couldn't find a link.
Sorry , I forgot to post the BBC Radio 3 link : https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b7hxh2

After hearing his Preliminary Round #1 at the 2013 Cliburn, where he played the RachmaninoffSonata # 1, I predicted him as the possible winner.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:41 pm

Well, I listened almost all the way through, so here goes.

In this recital Kholodenko shows a affinity for a wide range of composers, from Schumann and Chopin to Liszt and Scriabin. All are played flawlessly, tempi are good and the notes are all there, but, like Argerich in the beginning of her career, he lacks a proper foundation in the bass. All is fleet and finely detailed, but it lacks depth, and the audience senses this in their rather tepid response to most of his playing. I'd certainly like to feel some emotion in his music-making, but I didn't get that this time. Still it's an auspicious start to a career: Hopefully he'll acquire more depth and confidence as he matures. MHO, as always.

Thanks for posting the link. :)

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:36 am

New Harmonia Mundi cd of Scriabin works available here for free listening of the complete cd. Op.13 , 16 , 42 Preludes, all complete, 4th and 5th Sonatas, “ Vers la flamme “ , Op.34 and 36 Poems

https://www.nporadio4.nl/cds/skrjabin-p ... kholodenko

Uniformly wonderful , personal playing , especially 4th Sonata, Poems, “Mosquito “ Etude. Will be in the Horowitz, Richter, Sofronitsky league , perhaps already.