White Light Festival Saariaho Opera

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

White Light Festival Saariaho Opera

Post by lennygoran » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:16 am

The White Light Festival email arrived this morning-have never found anything I'd want to go to--this opera is listed-maybe a possibility-I loved the way the Met did Saariaho’s L'Amour de loin. Regards, Len

In Kaija Saariaho’s hypnotic opera, based on Ezra Pound’s translations of two Japanese Noh plays, a ghost and an angel emerge from a world of light and shadow. A trio of celebrated performers—countertenor Philippe Jaroussky, bass-baritone Davóne Tines, and dancer Nora Kimball-Mentzos—conjures these supernatural encounters in a U.S. premiere directed by Peter Sellars that shimmers with spectral power and ”overwhelms with beauty” (Bachtrack).

“This introspective music theatre, this future of opera, overwhelms with beauty, stimulates the imagination, and entrances the mind. Don’t miss it.”

– Bachtrack

“Sensual and evocative.”

– Financial Times

“Disarms, seduces and hypnotizes…. Not since Written on Skin has modern opera thrilled with such intensity”

– Bachtrack

John F

Re: White Light Festival Saariaho Opera

Post by John F » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:53 pm

I'll definitely want to see this! Thanks for posting the news.
John Francis

lennygoran

Re: White Light Festival Saariaho Opera

Post by lennygoran » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:26 pm

John F wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:53 pm
I'll definitely want to see this! Thanks for posting the news.
John I bought our tickets for the Sunday performance-pricier than I would have liked-I'm not sure how this will turn out for us but it's the week of Thanksgiving and I'm thinking of a week long stay in NYC starting that Sunday. Regards, Len