Schubert D959 in A Major, Kempff

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Belle

Schubert D959 in A Major, Kempff

Post by Belle » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:28 pm

I spent the afternoon yesterday listening to this from my complete boxed set of Kempff playing Schubert, following along with the score downloaded from ISMLP. It's so very different from my Pollini recorded circa three decades ago! His tempi are generally faster. These are the only two versions I have of this wonderful work, with its terribly Austrian melodies in the Rondo - rather reminiscent of Haydn's 'anthem' from the "Emperor" Quartet.

A couple of comments about the Kempff; Firstly, I would have preferred a more lively Scherzo - at times it's rather stilted. Secondly, the Andantino is so lovely and so typically Schubertian and I was listening for more variation of touch in the first subject repeat. But then the movement enters the realm of Beethovenian 'metaphysics' (revealing it's inspiration) and it really gets interesting. At this point the virtuosity never swamps the piece, instead revealing all the drama one doesn't expect to find in a sonata with this kind of lyricism!! Back to the serenity of the Impromptu-like ostinato and melody at the end of the Andantino movement - absolute perfection here Maestro Kempff. Clarity between the musical lines is also excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSEHbtwyXPg

I may have said this before; I absolutely ADORE Schubert.

John F

Re: Schubert D959 in A Major, Kempff

Post by John F » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:14 am

Maybe you'll like this extraordinary performance by Alfred Brendel. Not at all like his approach to Beethoven and Mozart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olmgg0y2o9A
John Francis

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:20 am

Thanks for these. Perhaps too much hearing of D.960, but I probably prefer to hear 959 more often than 960.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:01 am

Brendel and Kempff, my two favorite Schubert pianists. Both are equally great, each with his own style. Thanks for these.

I'm currently due to listen to their complete recordings later this year: this was jumping the gun a bit, for me, but I'm glad to have heard them here. :)

Belle

Post by Belle » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:14 pm

John F wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:14 am
Maybe you'll like this extraordinary performance by Alfred Brendel. Not at all like his approach to Beethoven and Mozart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olmgg0y2o9A
Thank you; I most certainly will listen. I have some of the smaller piano works of Schubert on CD with Brendel. (Already after the first few bars I can hear a difference from Kempff!!!)

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:23 pm

Schubert's A Major, Op. Posth., is a fabulous work. A recording I liked very much was by Rudolf Serkin. This, and the B-flat, Op. Posth, are both wonderful works for the piano. And, of course, Artur Schnabel fits in with Schubert's music supremely well, especially given the fact his recordings were made on wonderful Bechstein pianos in the days of 78-rpm recordings.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]