Louis Vierne's Piano Quintet, Op.42

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Post Reply
Rach3
Posts: 333
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:17 am

Louis Vierne's Piano Quintet, Op.42

Post by Rach3 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:26 pm

A chance to hear what I suspect is the rarely played live Vierne Quintet, wonderful , intense work , composed in response to the death at the Front in WWI of the composer’s 17-year old son :

https://www.rtbf.be/auvio/detail_lunch- ... id=2378074

Au Chiemgauer Musikfrühling:

Schumann - Quatuor pour piano en do mineur, WoO 32.
Schumann - Quatuor pour pinao en mi bémol majeur, op. 47.
Vierne - Quintette pour piano en do mineur, op. 42.

Avec le Raro Ensemble

Enregistré le 13 juillet 2018

I have, can recommend, this Brilliant Classics cd :

https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/class ... et#reviews

jbuck919
Military Band Specialist
Posts: 26608
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Stony Creek, New York

Re: Louis Vierne's Piano Quintet, Op.42

Post by jbuck919 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:36 pm

I cannot get past "connectez-vous," a hideous piece of franglais, but Vierne was possibly the first in a line of organists and organ composers who were stone blind. Here is his most famous work:


There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.
-- Johann Sebastian Bach

Rach3
Posts: 333
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:17 am

Re: Louis Vierne's Piano Quintet, Op.42

Post by Rach3 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:33 am

jbuck919 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:36 pm
I cannot get past "connectez-vous," a hideous piece of franglais,

This YT will hopefully work better, the recording mentioned in my OP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoxW3V1 ... q7Fo8wL8m8

jbuck919
Military Band Specialist
Posts: 26608
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Stony Creek, New York

Re: Louis Vierne's Piano Quintet, Op.42

Post by jbuck919 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:35 am

Rach3 wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:33 am
jbuck919 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:36 pm
I cannot get past "connectez-vous," a hideous piece of franglais,

This YT will hopefully work better, the recording mentioned in my OP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoxW3V1 ... q7Fo8wL8m8
I must be doing something wrong, because I still can't get to the quintet. However, I adored the art song. (Spleen as you know is untranslatable French and has nothing to do with the body organ.) I didn't know Vierne had it in him, so thanks just for that.

Next week I will be attending the Organ Historical Society convention in, of all places, Rochester NY. I'll probably hear some Vierne. I mention this only because I will be incommunicado with CMG for that length of time. The convention proceeds from one location to another from breakfast until near bedtime five days in a row, without the possibility of a break except for meals. It is exhausting, and may be the last time I will ever do it.

There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.
-- Johann Sebastian Bach

Rach3
Posts: 333
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:17 am

Re: Louis Vierne's Piano Quintet, Op.42

Post by Rach3 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:57 am

jbuck919 wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:35 am
Next week I will be attending the Organ Historical Society convention in, of all places, Rochester NY. I'll probably hear some Vierne.

You may be interested in this 2018 Proms programme:


https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bbt6bz

From BBCR3:


Another chance to hear Latvian organist Iveta Apkalna making her Proms debut with a programme that includes French 19th- and 20th-century music by Faure, Franck and Widor.
Presented by Martin Handley from the Royal Albert Hall, London

Widor: Organ Symphony No 5 in F minor, Op 42
Franck: Trois Piaces - Piace Heroique
Faure : Pavane (arr. Apkalna)
J.S. Bach: Fantasia in G major, BWV 572
Sir George Thomas Thalben-Ball: Variations on a Theme by Paganini (Study for the Pedals)
Thierry Escaich: Deux Evocations
Aivars Kalejs: Toccata on the Chorale 'Allein Gott'

Iveta Apkalna, organ

Widor's thrilling Organ Symphony No. 5, with its famous final-movement Toccata, offers sprawling, extrovert drama, a mood it shares with prize-winning French composer-organist Thierry Escaich's exuberant Evocations, with their nods to Baroque and Renaissance music.
Works by Franck and Bach's great G major Fantasia, with its 'wonderful variations and foreign tones', complete the programme given on the Royal Albert Hall's famous 'Father' Willis organ.

jbuck919
Military Band Specialist
Posts: 26608
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Stony Creek, New York

Re: Louis Vierne's Piano Quintet, Op.42

Post by jbuck919 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:14 am

Rach3 wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:57 am
jbuck919 wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:35 am
Next week I will be attending the Organ Historical Society convention in, of all places, Rochester NY. I'll probably hear some Vierne.

You may be interested in this 2018 Proms programme:


https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bbt6bz

From BBCR3:


Another chance to hear Latvian organist Iveta Apkalna making her Proms debut with a programme that includes French 19th- and 20th-century music by Faure, Franck and Widor.
Presented by Martin Handley from the Royal Albert Hall, London

Widor: Organ Symphony No 5 in F minor, Op 42
Franck: Trois Piaces - Piace Heroique
Faure : Pavane (arr. Apkalna)
J.S. Bach: Fantasia in G major, BWV 572
Sir George Thomas Thalben-Ball: Variations on a Theme by Paganini (Study for the Pedals)
Thierry Escaich: Deux Evocations
Aivars Kalejs: Toccata on the Chorale 'Allein Gott'

Iveta Apkalna, organ

Widor's thrilling Organ Symphony No. 5, with its famous final-movement Toccata, offers sprawling, extrovert drama, a mood it shares with prize-winning French composer-organist Thierry Escaich's exuberant Evocations, with their nods to Baroque and Renaissance music.
Works by Franck and Bach's great G major Fantasia, with its 'wonderful variations and foreign tones', complete the programme given on the Royal Albert Hall's famous 'Father' Willis organ.
There is a bit of hyperbole in that, as in many program notes. I defy anyone to identify "wonderful variations and foreign tones" in the G major Fantasia. Also, in case you did not know, Widor was Fauré's mentor, not the other way around.


There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.
-- Johann Sebastian Bach

Lance
Site Administrator
Posts: 17480
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:27 am
Location: Binghamton, New York
Contact:

Re: Louis Vierne's Piano Quintet, Op.42

Post by Lance » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:15 pm

The Vierne along with Reynado Hahn's piano quintet appeared on Hyperion [67258] with Stephen Coombs, piano, and the Chilingirian Quartet, which I enjoyed because of my interest in Vierne's organ music.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief
______________________________________________________

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ricordanza and 29 guests