Dvorak Symphonies 7, 8 and 9

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Belle

Dvorak Symphonies 7, 8 and 9

Post by Belle » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:30 am

We seldom seem to discuss these ravishing works and right now I'm listening, courtesy of MediciTV, to the Tartarstan Symphony Orchestra conducted by Alexander Sladkovski conducting Symphony No. 7. I just can't decide which of the 3 I like the most, but I do have a stunning performance of the 9th conducted by Andris Nelsons with the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra.

Which of these symphonies do you like and what performances would you recommend? I've only got a couple - the 7th and 8th with Colin Davis from the 90s and the aforementioned 9th with Nelsons.

These works are so beloved and yet they seem to take a back seat with regards to the concert hall.

Here's a written interview with Sladkovski, in case you haven't heard of him:

http://seenandheard-international.com/2 ... or-tassie/

RebLem
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.

Re: Dvorak Symphonies 7, 8 and 9

Post by RebLem » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:25 am

I recommend multiple recordings of these works. One essential set is the Szell/Cleveland set of all three. He re-recorded the 8th for EMI, but I don't like it as much. Belohlavek and the Czech Phil are good. My personal favorite 9th I one by Zdenek Macal and the London Phil on the mid=price Classics for Pleasure label. Just yesterday, I saw & heard a wonderful performance on YouTube with the Munich Phil, of all things, conducted by Sergiu Celibidache from 1991. And two Chicago Symphony recordings, by Reiner and Giulini, are excellent as well, as are two more by the Czech Phil with Talich and Ancerl, respectively. And the Monteux 7th with the LSO is very good, too. My favorite set of all 9 is the Kubelik set.
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:31 am

I agree all great, # 7 my fav of the lot.

Would also suggest you listen at YT to Nos. 4,5,6. I enjoy those sufficiently to have purchased a Phillips 2-cd set of them.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:09 am

Good morning, Belle!

By all means get the Szell/Cleveland set of VII, VIII, & IX. The performances are electric, and the recordings stand the test of time.

If you'd like a complete set, grab the Kubelik, Kertesz/London, or the most recently recorded set with Belohlavek/Czech Philharmonic. All are recommended, with a slight preference on my part for Belohlavek.

Another work by Dvorak that I would recommend is his Requiem, every bit as powerful as Verdi's, but long overshadowed by the presence of Verdi's work. Kertesz would be my pick of currently available versions:

John F

Post by John F » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:22 am

No. 8 is the most lovable, I think, but I wouldn't be without any of them. Barbirolli and the Halle Orchestra made superb recordings of all three, originally published on Mercury with that label's typically brilliant sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQwiwo5ybhU

There are also outstanding versions by Vaclav Talich and the Czech Philharmonic, as well as the Slavonic Dances and the cello concerto with Rostropovich as soloist. The postwar recordings for Supraphon naturally sound better than the 1930s EMI recordings and are just as good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW0cgVmMXZA
John Francis

Belle

Post by Belle » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:55 pm

Thank you so much, all of you!! Much to think about and hear today, with absolute pleasure. I'm really wound up about these works after my MediciTV experience of last night. Having read the Swafford "Brahms" biography, I did learn quite a lot in the latter section of the book about Dvorak and his relationship to Brahms. And so, relaxation today after my lecture of yesterday will entail further investigation of Antonin Dvorak and his symphonies, as well as that "Requiem". (The house is becoming coated in drought-inducing dust, but who cares??)

Oh, John; I've already started on the Barbirolli/Halle recording and it's absolutely magnificent. I have it piping through the house on a Bluetooth as I unpack the dishwasher. Hubby has gone into town and I have the place to myself.

Heck148

Post by Heck148 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:20 pm

#7 - Monteux/LSO - oner of the great Monteux/LSO recordings of late 50s/early 60s...this one is just right...Kertesz/LSO is very good also...

#8 - Kertesz/LSO is my fave...Szell/CleveO is very fine also....
#9 - Close for this one - Toscanini/NBC/'53 - one of AT's best ever; Reiner/CSO is right up there with it...Szel/Cleve also good...

Belle

Post by Belle » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:18 pm

Heck148 wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:20 pm
#7 - Monteux/LSO - oner of the great Monteux/LSO recordings of late 50s/early 60s...this one is just right...Kertesz/LSO is very good also...

#8 - Kertesz/LSO is my fave...Szell/CleveO is very fine also....
#9 - Close for this one - Toscanini/NBC/'53 - one of AT's best ever; Reiner/CSO is right up there with it...Szel/Cleve also good...
I just listened via Bluetooth to the early 60s recording of the 7th you recommended. I'm coming around to No. 7 as my favourite - it has that plangent quality which appeals.

John F

Post by John F » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:34 pm

For me, Dvorak's Stabat Mater is more appealing than his Requiem. There's an unbeatable recording by Vaclav Talich with the Czech Philharmonic Choir and Orchestra with a starry quartet of Czech singers: Drahomíra Tikalová, Marta Krásová, Beno Blachut, and Karel Kalaš.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qel1qdpK174
John Francis

Belle

Post by Belle » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:33 pm

It's a Dvorak-fest here today so thanks John for that additional link.

Belle

Post by Belle » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:32 am

John, the "Stabat Mater" is absolutely magnificent and I've passed it on to a friend who is in a major choir in our city. He's my co-convener at our music group and a retired music pedagogue.

John F

Post by John F » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:51 am

Dvorak's heart was in it, if you know the tragic story behind its composition:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stabat_Ma ... 99%C3%A1k)

Also, don't overlook the Symphony No. 6 in D major, originally published by Dvorak as his No. 1 - not often performed but it deserves to be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhY7kcmt4mw
John Francis

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:42 am

John F wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:51 am
Also, don't overlook the Symphony No. 6 in D major
Agreed 6 worth hearing, as are 4 and 5, my recollection 5 my fav of those 3, my cd set 👍
http://tinyurl.com/y7gcwcjh

Belle

Post by Belle » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:47 pm

John F wrote:
Dvorak's heart was in it, if you know the tragic story behind its composition:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stabat_Ma ... 99%C3%A1k)

Also, don't overlook the Symphony No. 6 in D major, originally published by Dvorak as his No. 1 - not often performed but it deserves to be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhY7kcmt4mw
I didn't know that tragic story!! Very sad. And Brahms wanted Dvorak to come and live in Vienna, offering financial help, but Dvorak had several children and said he'd never leave his home. This must have been before the trip to the USA. It's unclear. Anyway, it would appear Brahms wanted another ally to counter the Bruckner forces!!

Belle

Post by Belle » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:03 am

RebLem wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:25 am
I recommend multiple recordings of these works. One essential set is the Szell/Cleveland set of all three. He re-recorded the 8th for EMI, but I don't like it as much. Belohlavek and the Czech Phil are good. My personal favorite 9th I one by Zdenek Macal and the London Phil on the mid=price Classics for Pleasure label. Just yesterday, I saw & heard a wonderful performance on YouTube with the Munich Phil, of all things, conducted by Sergiu Celibidache from 1991. And two Chicago Symphony recordings, by Reiner and Giulini, are excellent as well, as are two more by the Czech Phil with Talich and Ancerl, respectively. And the Monteux 7th with the LSO is very good, too. My favorite set of all 9 is the Kubelik set.
I just listened to the Szell/Cleveland 7th and they were ON FIRE.

CharmNewton

Post by CharmNewton » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:29 am

Bruno Walter's Columbia Symphony recording of Symphony No. 8 has a joyfulness I find captivating. Charles Munch's recording, made around the same time, is pretty exciting and still holds up well today. Both are well recorded too.

Giulini's Chicago Symphony recording of the Symphony No. 9 brings out harmonic complexity that makes it sound modern, more than I hear in other recordings.

John

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:47 am

Belle wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:03 am
RebLem wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:25 am
I just listened to the Szell/Cleveland 7th and they were ON FIRE.
Those recordings are typical of the greatness that George Szell could produce with the Cleveland Orchestra of that era. His Beethoven Symphonies are also magnificent. This is why there is so much excitement about the forthcoming complete Szell box due out on August 10th! I love his passion for Dvorak, which I grew up with.

Heck148

Post by Heck148 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:20 am

John F wrote:
Also, don't overlook the Symphony No. 6 in D major, originally published by Dvorak as his No. 1 - not often performed but it deserves to be...
Yes, for sure, #6 is my favorite Dvorak Symphony....reminds me a bit of Brahms Sym #2 - same key, etc...
It's actually been gaining some ground in concert performance, I think...I know I played it several times, under different conductors, with different orchestras.