Hamelin at 2018 Schwarzenberg Fest

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Hamelin at 2018 Schwarzenberg Fest

Post by Rach3 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:36 am

Hamelin plays Beethoven / Liszt “Adelaide “,Op.46 ( my first hearing ), Schubert D.959 A major Sonata and Schumann’s Op.17 Fantasy at Schwartzenberg, June 29, 2018 :

https://www.rtbf.be/auvio/detail_lunch- ... id=2384009

The podcast is a bit of pain as you have to sign in by clicking on “ connectez-vous”, then sign up thru either Google or Facebook, sometimes then may have to reload the page, but the ticket price is good !

Seems to me there is more darkness in the Schubert than Hamelin seems to feel ; to me a more joy ,less wistfulness, in the Schumann ; but I’m hardly Hamelin.

Speaking of Europe, as Venice has gone, so goes Amsterdam ? Certainly not the situation when I was there in Feb.,1970 :

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/dest ... st-excess/

Are these tourists mainly ugly Americans ?

Same issues on Hamburg’s Reeperbahn ; Berlin’s Kurfurstendamm; Paris’ Champs d’Elysee ; Rome’s Via Veneto or Piazza di Spagna ?

Rach3

Re: Hamelin at 2018 Schwarzenberg Fest

Post by Rach3 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:14 am

And Hamelin joins the Takacs Quartet at 2018 Edinburgh Festival in a new one for me, Dohnanyi’s Piano Quintet, Op.1 :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/play/b0bdbtyd ( Starts at about 1 :17 : 00 into the programme )

Per Hamelin perhaps the most remarkable Op.1 “ in musical history” , and “ without a drop of “ Hungarian folk music in it. ( Op.1’s Berg Piano Sonata , Brahms’ 1st Piano Sonata , Paganini Caprices ? ) Worth hearing, but a one-hear for me. Programme also has Takacs playing Mozart’s 12th Quartet and Dvorak’s “ American “ Quartet I did not hear.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:04 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:14 am
And Hamelin joins the Takacs Quartet at 2018 Edinburgh Festival in a new one for me, Dohnanyi’s Piano Quintet, Op.1 :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/play/b0bdbtyd ( Starts at about 1 :17 : 00 into the programme )

Per Hamelin perhaps the most remarkable Op.1 “ in musical history” , and “ without a drop of “ Hungarian folk music in it. ( Op.1’s Berg Piano Sonata , Brahms’ 1st Piano Sonata , Paganini Caprices ? ) Worth hearing, but a one-hear for me. Programme also has Takacs playing Mozart’s 12th Quartet and Dvorak’s “ American “ Quartet I did not hear.
I have the Dohnanyi somewhere by an obscure group and, yes, it's a one-time listen.

Belle

Post by Belle » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:33 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:36 am

Speaking of Europe, as Venice has gone, so goes Amsterdam ? Certainly not the situation when I was there in Feb.,1970 :

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/dest ... st-excess/

Are these tourists mainly ugly Americans ?

Same issues on Hamburg’s Reeperbahn ; Berlin’s Kurfurstendamm; Paris’ Champs d’Elysee ; Rome’s Via Veneto or Piazza di Spagna ?
Absolutely inevitable for Amsterdam; a blind man could see what was coming.

I don't think these tourists are "mainly ugly Americans" at all. FWIW, we met a charming American couple from Georgia in a supermarket in Amsterdam in 2015 and we agreed to meet for dinner that same evening. Same with the New York couple in Norway on that 2015 cruise (said they had an apartment in the same street as James Levine) and another American couple in 2011 on a Norway cruise. We have remained in contact with the latter. All of them warm, friendly, engaging and not in the least ugly. Oh, and I forgot the doctor and his(doctor) wife from Seattle, Washington, whom we met in Salzburg in 2009. Excellent people, all of them. Were it not for their natural spontaneity and warmth those conversations would never have begun.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:05 pm

I'm truly proud being an American, based on my English/Russian/Slavic genealogy, but in my international travels, I have seen Americans behave shamefully expecting much from people in their native lands. Most Americans, however, I think know how to show appreciation and behave properly.

As for Marc-André Hamelin, I am one of his admirers and probably have 99.9% of his recorded legacy thus far. But like some others, I have found him to be less convincing in his interpretations of the more "standard/traditional" piano literature [Schumann, Schubert, and others of the Classical era] whereas his Alkan, Godowsky, Busoni, Liszt and other Romantic-period composers. Though, too, I must say, I enjoyed very much his Haydn sonata recordings. The man is a musical genius and plays everything from solo to concerto to chamber, including cabaret and jazz-type music. Not every great pianist does that!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:44 am

May I put in a plug for what's below as well? Hamelin plays the Brahms Quartets brilliantly, with a full sense of the style of the music, and his Brahms Piano Concerto II w/Litton conducting is stunningly good IMHO, in spite of amazons low rating. Hamelin has a five-star rating in obscure repertoire that others won't touch, but that shouldn't put one off from his Brahms which is excellent!

Belle

Post by Belle » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:36 pm

Lance wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:05 pm
I'm truly proud being an American, based on my English/Russian/Slavic genealogy, but in my international travels, I have seen Americans behave shamefully expecting much from people in their native lands. Most Americans, however, I think know how to show appreciation and behave properly.
Don't worry; I know what you're talking about as we have our fair share of "ugly Australians". They mostly go to "beautiful Bali" but I've encountered them in Europe and they're a national embarrassment. On a Rhine/Danube cruise in 2009 from Amsterdam to Budapest we had one 'ugly Australian' who kept yelling "Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, oy, oy, oy" at every opportunity. I thereafter resolved never to go on any organized tour (I don't like them anyway) with Australians. They all went off to one of those horrid Mozart concerts, with the ballet dancers, in Vienna when we arrived there. When asking why we were not going a woman we'd befriended said, "I can't understand it; you're a classical music lover" and I replied, "it's precisely for that reason that I won't be going". :roll:

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:45 pm

Yes, know the feeling. It was precisely on one of those tours with Americans where I was embarrassed and I haven't been on one since! We have many Australians visiting our fair town, mostly because of business - IBM, Link, etc., and I have met many, talked in depth and was pleasantly surprised by their demeanor and kindness, enough so that I want to visit Australia one of these fine days. And we have several Australians on CMG who are erudite, pleasant, and most knowledgeable - such as one BELLE! Thank you for being here!
Belle wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:36 pm
Don't worry; I know what you're talking about as we have our fair share of "ugly Australians". They mostly go to "beautiful Bali" but I've encountered them in Europe and they're a national embarrassment. On a Rhine/Danube cruise in 2009 from Amsterdam to Budapest we had one 'ugly Australian' who kept yelling "Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, oy, oy, oy" at every opportunity. I thereafter resolved never to go on any organized tour (I don't like them anyway) with Australians. They all went off to one of those horrid Mozart concerts, with the ballet dancers, in Vienna when we arrived there. When asking why we were not going a woman we'd befriended said, "I can't understand it; you're a classical music lover" and I replied, "it's precisely for that reason that I won't be going". :roll:
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:20 am

Lance wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:45 pm
Yes, know the feeling. It was precisely on one of those tours with Americans where I was embarrassed and I haven't been on one since!
We were in Prague years ago on a evening guided excursion, with a group of mixed nationalities, which included sights, a nice typical Czech dinner, and concluded with an abbreviated live performance of selected arias from a Mozart opera at his former house ( " Marriage of Figaro " , I think may have been ), but an American couple complained they could not understand the singing because was not in English and wanted to leave early. I apologized to our guide.