Leonard Bernstein: Vocal Works Edition

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Leonard Bernstein: Vocal Works Edition

Post by Lance » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:04 pm

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... _QL65_.jpg
Sony Classical 86048, 56 CDs, Limited Edition

My copy arrived yesterday, and quite a package it is. Of course there are much more than vocal works in this set. There is symphonic works, chamber music, etc. There was another "surprise." Double shrink-wrapped, over the first layer of wrap is a separate CD with a little white label marked "Erratum. The present set is completed by 2 extra CDs with recordings of Beethoven's Symphony No. 7 from 1958 and Bernstein's On the Town from 1960." So, in essence, this set is 57 CDs, not 56.

So, the set we thought would not be released is finally here. One wonders how much more can be issued by Bernstein? There is the 11 CD set "Leonard Bernstein: The Pianist," and LP-sized boxed set of 25 CDs, "Leonard Bernstein: The Composer," the LP-sized 60 CD set "Leonard Bernstein: The Symphony Edition," and the LP-sized 80 CD set "Leonard Bernstein: Concertos & Orchestral Works." So, what is yet missing?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

barney

Re: Leonard Bernstein: Vocal Works Edition

Post by barney » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:02 am

Bernstein the outrageous remarks? (a 198,547 CD set)

Mookalafalas

Post by Mookalafalas » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:09 am

Still waiting for mine. We have had torrential rains and flooding where I live (in Southern Taiwan). I don't suppose that is hurrying delivery up any.
In anticipation I broke out my symphony and concerto/ensemble boxes and have been listening to them with great pleasure. I am impressed with almost everything from them that I play.
Call me Al (cuz its my name)

Mookalafalas

Post by Mookalafalas » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:30 am

It's here! So classy that they added an extra double-disk, outside the box (literally and figuratively).
Playing disk 1, St. Matthew's Passion right now. In English! I've never heard it in English before. Purists may throw a fit, but I find it glorious to actually understand what they are saying!! Of course I'm just on disk one, but I strongly suspect I'm going to love this box :D
Call me Al (cuz its my name)