Upcoming Opening Preparations At The Met

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

Upcoming Opening Preparations At The Met

Post by lennygoran » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:53 pm

Lots of photos-here's part of the article. Len

Few challenges in live performance rival the start of the Met season. Monday brings the new “Samson et Dalila,” with 145 performers onstage, including 18 dancers for its orgiastic Bacchanale. A revival of Franco Zeffirelli’s cinematic “La Bohème” — stage population 239, not counting a horse and donkey — opens on Tuesday. An army of 278 marches through “Aida” on Wednesday.

Beneath the hubbub are the personal dramas. Ms. Garanca is working to summon the passion to dominate her star turn. Ms. Netrebko, the house’s reigning prima donna, is readying herself for “the most difficult role I ever sang.” A trio of young artists — the conductor James Gaffigan and a pair of married singers, Nicole Car and Etienne Dupuis — are all making their Met debuts in “La Bohème.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/20/arts ... ic-reviews

maestrob

Re: Upcoming Opening Preparations At The Met

Post by maestrob » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:07 am

Thanks, Len! I think it's astonishing that Netrebko is performing Aida at the 3,800-seat MET. I truly hope that her voice survives it, especially when she not too long ago sang Don Pasquale and Lucia. Garanca's move into Dalila was not unexpected by yours truly (she should do well), but Alagna's throwing himself into Samson makes me think that he's competing with Domingo who did not do so well in the house IMHO, although he sounded good in the CD studio recording.

I wonder if Netrebko will take the optional high Eb in the triumphal scene, as did Callas in Mexico City in 1951? Something to look forward to!

What a season to look forward to! Who says great singers are only in the past?? :roll:

John F

Re: Upcoming Opening Preparations At The Met

Post by John F » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:18 pm

Callas, too, sang both Lucia and Aida, and Mirella Freni moved from the lyric to the spinto repertoire without shortening her career. I wouldn't worry about Netrebko. If she finds the run of Aidas too much for her, I expect she won't do it again.
John Francis