YouTube problems

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

John F

YouTube problems

Post by John F » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:10 am

In the last year or so, an increasing number of YouTube video clips have not played in my browser. You may have had this problem too. I found out the reason for it, and that's why I finally abandoned Windows XP and got a new computer running the latest Windows.

Briefly, most of the clips on YouTube and other sites that stream video have been based on Flash, a multimedia platform created by Adobe. But now Adobe is abandoning Flash, partly because of inherent security flaws, and in 2020 they will cease support, distribution, and security updates to Flash Player. Instead they are pushing HTML5, which is not compatible with Flash.

Older YouTube clips formatted in Flash will continue to play - apparently they are not being reformatted in HTML5 - but new clips are being formatted in HTML5 and will only play in newer versions of browsers that are HTML5-capable. Otherwise they will not play, and instead you'll see the error message "Your browser does not currently recognize any of the video formats available." As far as I know, the only way to fix this is to upgrade your browser or change it. Chrome is said to be a good choice.
John Francis

lennygoran

Re: YouTube problems

Post by lennygoran » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:50 am

John F wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:10 am
Older YouTube clips formatted in Flash will continue to play - apparently they are not being reformatted in HTML5 - but new clips are being formatted in HTML5 and will only play in newer versions of browsers that are HTML5-capable.
John thanks-is there a way I can find out if my browser is set up for HTML5? Regards, Len

John F

Post by John F » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:46 am

You'll find out if it isn't if you try to play a YouTube video and get the error message I quoted. What you do then, I don't yet know. Why not ask in the Tech Sector forum at Forumania? they answer queries promptly, as most tech support forums don't.
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:02 am

John F wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:46 am
You'll find out if it isn't if you try to play a YouTube video and get the error message I quoted. What you do then, I don't yet know. Why not ask in the Tech Sector forum at Forumania? they answer queries promptly, as most tech support forums don't.
Thanks, right now you tube is working just fine-if a problem develops I'll contact them.

As an aside I'll mention this problem-I sent it in but got no answers-I sent a followup when I got the answer as the messages below indicate. Regards, Len

Sorry About Samsung UpdateYesterday, 05:26 AMSuddenly this weekend while on a short trip when taking a photo with my Samsung Android smartphone it took a continuous number of photos with just one press from me-then I noticed they changed the screen and put choices right where I hold the phone for picture taking-I went into Verizon where I got the phone and asked if I could get back to the screen I've been happily using for years now and they said you couldn't-very annoying because I have to really make sure I'm in the auto mode and not one of the other choices they give you. Regards, Len

Yesterday, 04:46 PM
A follow up-despite Verizon saying there was nothing I could do to get rid of this "update" I called samsung-the tech walked me right through-settings, edit camera modes, unclick all the unwanted things on the screen and I'm back in business! Regards, Len

John F

Post by John F » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:49 am

Thanks, right now you tube is working just fine-if a problem develops I'll contact them.
You'd be wasting your time. Google, who owns YouTube, doesn't consider the switch to HTML5 a "problem" but a policy and an improvement. And they certainly aren't going to advise each of us individually which browser works best with YouTube.

Instead, ask in the Tech Sector forum in Forumania, as I suggested. Indeed you can ask them now, and not wait for a problem to arise.
John Francis

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:24 pm

Just for the record, gentlemen, I've been using Chrome for years and have had no problems with youtube videos. This is the first I'm hearing about it.

John, I'm glad you finally updated your computer to a Windows 10 model. Microsoft updates me regularly and automatically, and while they're not happy (I'm sure) that I use Chrome, the Geek Squad installed it for me in a matter of minutes when I bought my current model.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:27 am

Tests and scores your current browser against html5 and compare it with others.

https://html5test.com/index.html