First Golden Cockerel

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

First Golden Cockerel

Post by lennygoran » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:22 pm

It turned out I was wrong-we have never seen Rimsky-Korsakov's Golden Cockerel-it was sort of a cloudy dismal looking day so we abandoned our gardening and streamed in the performance below using our Roku and the 53 inch screen. What a wonderful imaginative work-it was traditional with a very nice production-the camera work could have been a little better-still for $3.99 from Amazon Video it was a wonderful opera experience! Regards, Len :D

Rimsky-Korsakov, Golden Cockerel (English subtitled)

122 min2010
Subtitles and Closed Captions

The Golden Cockerel (also known as "Le coq d'or," or, in the original Russian, "Zolotoy Petushok") was Rimsky-Korsakov's last opera. The opera's biting satire of the Tsar and Russian imperialism made it controversial for its time. Orchestra, Chorus, and Corps de ballet of the Yerevan Alexander Spendiaryan State Academic Theatre of Opera and Ballet; Aram Katanian, conductor. Live performance, 1986.

Starring
Grigor Gondjian, Ruben Kubelian, Marietta Shakhverdian

One reviewer who saw this on DVD said this:

4.0 out of 5 starsA very traditional production but very interesting
October 20, 2013
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
The set was amazing. It was complex and multidimensional. The first act was inside the kings palace. The 2nd act was on a battlefield and the third outside the palace. There were lots of Russian inflected architecture in the set. The video was clear but lacked significant detail. Every so often the camera would lose focus. The sound was reasonable, though monophonic. The English subtitles had some very "interesting" translations. Some of the subtitle lines were blurred and could not be read -- but not enough to make them unhelpful. I thought the singers were fine, but I have never seen this opera live nor have I listened to any other version. Though the production was videotaped in 1986 it seems like it came from a much earlier period.

John F

Re: First Golden Cockerel

Post by John F » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:04 am

In the very old days, New York City Opera produced "Golden Cockerel" in English with Beverly Sills as the queen, Norman Treigle as King Dodon, and Enrico Di Giuseppe as the astrologer. The stage director was Tito Capobianco, who recently died; the conductor, City Opera's long-time music director Julius Rudel. It was televised in 1971 and here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY1TePizviE

The picture is black and white and a bit dim, but definitely better than nothing!
John Francis

lennygoran

Re: First Golden Cockerel

Post by lennygoran » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:07 am

John F wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:04 am
The picture is black and white and a bit dim, but definitely better than nothing!
Thanks, this is good to know about-as someone who needs hearing aids I did appreciate the captions on the one we watched yesterday. Regards, Len