Lesser heard "Paganini Variations"

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Lesser heard "Paganini Variations"

Post by Rach3 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:58 pm

Ricordanza

Re: Lesser heard "Paganini Variations"

Post by Ricordanza » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:17 am

I've had the good fortune to hear Hamelin perform these variations twice: as an encore at a 2012 recital and as part of the main program in a 2015 recital. This was my impression in 2012:
Hamelin then launched into this work, playing the familiar theme with a slightly off-kilter harmony and following that with some of the most imaginative and fascinating variations I have ever heard of any theme. At times, he incorporated jazz elements, venturesome harmonies, some modern sounding sound clusters, touches of humor, and brilliant pianistic flourishes (of course). One variation was a type of “PDQ Bach” creation, with snippets of Beethoven and other classical and popular works. One variation worked in another Paganini tune, La Campanella. And one variation contained an introduction very much like Rachmaninoff’s 18th variation, making us think that we would then hear the famous lyrical inversion, but we heard another lyrical variation instead. After a brilliant conclusion, the audience reacted wildly. This was Hamelin, the composer-pianist, at his absolute best.

Rach3

Re: Lesser heard "Paganini Variations"

Post by Rach3 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:55 am

Thanks,Ricordanza. I think you'll like the Hambourg as well, completely different than Hamelin's treatment.