Janacek "Glagolitic Mass"

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Belle

Janacek "Glagolitic Mass"

Post by Belle » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:19 pm

I've been listening to this splendid work via the Berliner Philharmoniker Digital Concert Hall, which was recorded in 2013. I could only find a couple of much older performances (quality bad) on U-Tube, one with Charles Mackerras. But this one with the Berliners is specially powerful and very moving. Couldn't find anything conducted by Jiri B.

Janacek didn't have to throw out musical conventions to create a work of originality!!

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Janacek "Glagolitic Mass"

Post by Lance » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:20 pm

Is this the recording with Kubelik conducting? I have, believe-it-or-not, one CD recording of the work, Leonard Bernstein conducting. I haven't heard it in a long time. I'll give it a listen! Janacék is not among my top 20 composers, however I do enjoy some of his solo piano music.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

John F

Post by John F » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:41 pm

Since it's a Berlin Phil concert, I'd guess it's Rattle. Heard it with him conducting the Boston Symphony years ago, very dynamic.
John Francis

david johnson

Post by david johnson » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:45 am

I have the old Bernstein recording. I first heard the work when I was a teen listening to the radio program "Music 'til Dawn"

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:53 am

Janacek's vocal works are quite thrilling, especially the Msa Glagolskaja. Yes, I have the Bernstein, with Blegen and Nikolai Gedda (on loan from EMI), as well as Mackerras (not bad) and Karel Ancerl; I'm waiting for the Belohlavek which was just recently issued here. JohnF recommended the first recording (mono) by Czech forces released in the early 1950's, which is electrifying, but spoiled for me by a tenor who simply cannot handle the killer tessitura. All in all a magnificent work, a pinnacle of Janacek's career. I do recommend the Bernstein as the version I most often return to.