Arensky's Ballet Music "Egyptian Night"

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Arensky's Ballet Music "Egyptian Night"

Post by Lance » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:08 pm

The Russian composers are, of course, very well known for writing ballet music. I am familiar with much of it, particularly Tchaikovsky's, whose is pretty much hard to match given its overall beauty and majesty. Other famous Russian composers also include Kabalevsky, Gliere, Glazunov, Shostakovich, Prokofiev, Shchedrin among others. But one whose ballet music I was unfamiliar was that of Anton Arensky in his Egyptian Night of which came forth his Egyptian Night Ballet Suite, comprised of seven orchestral sections. Thus, I went looking to see what was on CD inasmuch as I've had an idea to put together a radio broadcast of music inspired by Egypt. I was surprised to find an excellent one with the USSR State Symphony Orchestra under Yevgeni Svetlanov. The suite takes only about 22 minutes to hear in its entirety. A label, originating in Florida, called Essential Media Group [CD 15510, 22 minutes only], has remastered the work beautifully. Being unsure of the source (Melodiya LP most likely), I am never aware of the LP background ticks or clicks. The resonance and richness of the sound is enticing. While it may not be on a level of Piotor Ilyitch Tchaikovsky, it nevertheless contains some memorable music that would obviously lend itself to ballet. Just wondering if anyone else is aware o this music.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]