Frederick August Stock

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

RebLem
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.

Frederick August Stock

Post by RebLem » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:06 am

​Today, 20 October 2018, is the 76th anniversary of the death of Frederick August Stock, who was music director of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra from 1905 until his death on this date in 1942, five days before my own birth.
​​https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Stock
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.

jserraglio

Re: Frederick August Stock

Post by jserraglio » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:39 am

Like Rodzinski's before Szell, the reputation of Frederick Stock has taken an undeserved hit. I am playing some of the long OOP 7-disc Dante LYS edition today in his honor.

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Frederick August Stock

Post by Lance » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:42 pm

I have always been a fan of Frederick Stock who, indeed, take a hit with regard to his stature of conductor of one of America's finest orchestras. And like you, I have all the volumes of the Dante/Lys transfers. Some good recordings also appeared on Biddulph and the Private Collection of the CSO. And don't forget the Beethoven 4th and 5th piano concertos with Artur Schnabel/CSO/Stock on RCA or the Saint-Saens Cello Concerto #1 with Piatigorsky/Stock/CSO on Sony Classical. Also on RCA, the "On the Shores of Sorrento" from Strauss's Aus Italien.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]