Yuja Wang live in Vienna,2017

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Yuja Wang live in Vienna,2017

Post by Rach3 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:00 pm

I have found some of her past playing, for me , unimpressive, eg. a recent Carnegie of Beethoven and Schumann, while other past very good, eg. her recent Prokofiev concertos at Verbier.Here is playing all of which I found interesting and well worth hearing, fww, especially the Brahms.I heard the Preludes, Variations, and Sonata only :

https://www.rtbf.be/auvio/detail_concer ... id=2411781

Chopin : 24 Préludes, op. 28

Brahms : Variations et Fugue sur un thème de Handel, op. 24

Scriabin : Sonate pour piano Nr. 4 en fa dièse, op. 30 (encore)
Schubert /Liszt : Gretchen am Spinnrade, D. 118, arrangé pour piano (encore)
Prokofiev : Toccata, op. 11 (encore)
Schumann / Carl Tausig : Der Kontrabandiste, Nr. 10 , tiré de 'Spanisches Liederspiel,
op. 74' (encore)
Chopin : Ballade Nr. 1 en sol mineur, op. 23 (encore)
Yuja Wang : Variations sur un thème tiré de Carmen de Bizet (encore)
Enregistré le jeudi 06/04/2017 à Vienne

Belle

Re: Yuja Wang live in Vienna,2017

Post by Belle » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:44 pm

I saw her in Vienna at the Konzerthaus in 2011. Cannot remember much except that she sight-read the Berg Sonata. Her clothing was memorable, with stiletto heals reaching some six inches. And her dress was slit sky high; don't like raunch culture for women. It sends the wrong message. As my new, 26y/o daughter-in-law says, "you attract the wrong types with that kind of bait"!

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:11 pm

While I wonder at her clothing choices myself, even though I am a man, I suspect what attracted a probably very knowledgeable audience in Vienna to the 2017 recital was the playing. She probably used the score with the Berg Sonata rather than trust her memory , not that she was playing the work for the first time , a practice Richter , Sokolov, Hamelin, others older and younger, occasionally use and which more pianists probably should.Try listening to the 2017 recital.

Belle

Post by Belle » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:14 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:11 pm
While I wonder at her clothing choices myself, even though I am a man, I suspect what attracted a probably very knowledgeable audience in Vienna to the 2017 recital was the playing. She probably used the score with the Berg Sonata rather than trust her memory , not that she was playing the work for the first time , a practice Richter , Sokolov, Hamelin, others older and younger, occasionally use and which more pianists probably should.Try listening to the 2017 recital.
When I saw her I didn't know anything about her before I got there, so it was certainly the program that sent me to the concert. I had never before seen a pianist perform in a recital using a score. But you tell me it has been a previous practice of others. I'll take your advice and listen to the 2017 recital, thanks.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:34 pm

If you have trouble with the Radio Belgium site, here is most of her 2017 Vienna recital :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOHRUrjfJt4 ( Brahms Variations )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zfjkxFfGyY (Scriabin Sonata )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cls97s8raPA ( Chopin Preludes )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk2aszrS03Q ( Chopin Ballade encore )

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:26 am

Rach3 wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:34 pm
If you have trouble with the Radio Belgium site, here is most of her 2017 Vienna recital :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOHRUrjfJt4 ( Brahms Variations )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zfjkxFfGyY (Scriabin Sonata )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cls97s8raPA ( Chopin Preludes )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk2aszrS03Q ( Chopin Ballade encore )
Thanks for the youtube links, Rach3. I do have trouble with that website, and youtube is much easier for me. Wang, IMHO, is a first-rank artist despite her ostentatious clothing, and she has persuaded me to say so not by her appearance but by her playing on discs.

Belle

Post by Belle » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:38 am

I listened to the Brahms Variations, then I stopped. A mixed response. She was too furious in the faster variations, though I did hear an interaction between base and treble lines; you could hear the inner parts much of the time. But her rush meant that it became a bit one-dimensional for me; I couldn't hear any sense of architecture or that the line was leading somewhere. My favourite is still Stephen Kovacevich; he builds the tension slowly but surely until you feel an enormous sense of relief at that final cadence. I didn't feel that with Wang. Her dazzling technical virtuosity gets in the way a little and she tends towards the monochromatic with many of her interpretations.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:17 am

Belle wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:38 am
I listened to the Brahms Variations, then I stopped. A mixed response. She was too furious in the faster variations, though I did hear an interaction between base and treble lines; you could hear the inner parts much of the time. But her rush meant that it became a bit one-dimensional for me; I couldn't hear any sense of architecture or that the line was leading somewhere. My favourite is still Stephen Kovacevich; he builds the tension slowly but surely until you feel an enormous sense of relief at that final cadence. I didn't feel that with Wang. Her dazzling technical virtuosity gets in the way a little and she tends towards the monochromatic with many of her interpretations.
Yes, Belle, I had the same reaction: too much Yang, and not enough Brahms. Brahms needs to flow, not wear spiked heels. Seriously. I'll listen to the rest later, thanks. Brahms is a hard nut to crack for virtuoso-style pianists, I've found. Horowitz had the same trouble, IMHO. That said, I've not lost my respect for Yang, and I admire her for trying to broaden her palette.

Belle

Post by Belle » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:15 pm

She has a simply staggering virtuosity, just like Trifonov. Now, for me personally, she needs to pull back a little and think more sensitively about the music. But I'm sure others will disagree.

barney

Post by barney » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:12 pm

I interviewed Yuja a few years ago for The Age. I mentioned the clothes and a couple of quotations, which she did not like. Her agent asked the Sydney Morning Herald not to run the article as well (most of my articles run in both papers if the artist is appearing in both cities). Thus the Andras Schiff article appeared in both papers earlier this month.
I generally find classical musicians warm, open, thoughtful and very easy to interview. Yuja Wang was an exception - it was obviously a chore she had to do for marketing reasons. Mind you, I can easily imagine how it gets tedious for her.

Belle

Post by Belle » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:12 pm

barney wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:12 pm
I interviewed Yuja a few years ago for The Age. I mentioned the clothes and a couple of quotations, which she did not like. Her agent asked the Sydney Morning Herald not to run the article as well (most of my articles run in both papers if the artist is appearing in both cities). Thus the Andras Schiff article appeared in both papers earlier this month.
I generally find classical musicians warm, open, thoughtful and very easy to interview. Yuja Wang was an exception - it was obviously a chore she had to do for marketing reasons. Mind you, I can easily imagine how it gets tedious for her.
She didn't like you mentioning the clothes??!!!! I mean, they are designed specifically for attention. I'd wear things like this myself but it would frighten the horses (at the Sydney Opera House!) and I'd have to lose half the weight of Rita Hunter to get into them.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:51 am

Her agent asked that the article not run AND THE PAPER COMPLIED??

I'm amazed. :mrgreen:

To an artist, image is all, and she wears standout clothing for the purpose of inciting comment. Yet when comment comes, she gets offended? Hypocritical, to say the least.

'Nuff said.

Belle

Post by Belle » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:36 pm

maestrob wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:51 am
she wears standout clothing for the purpose of inciting comment. Yet when comment comes, she gets offended? Hypocritical, to say the least.

'Nuff said.
(Placing finger on temple): Where have I heard that before?

barney

Post by barney » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:49 pm

This is how the 2015 article began, which I thought was pretty fair:
One of the world’s most glamorous classical musicians will adorn stages in Melbourne and Sydney this month when Chinese pianist Yuja Wang performs with the Melbourne and Sydney Symphony Orchestras.
Admired for her scintillating technique, poetic understanding and charismatic presence, Wang – just turned 28 – is nearly as well known for her tight miniskirts and stiletto heels, which she rather resents.
More on this below, because one cannot avoid this topic, but it would do Wang less than justice if her attire was the main focus. She deserves to be known rather for the qualities described in Gramophone magazine, which named her the 2009 young artist of the year. It later called her “one of the major talents of our time” and spoke of her “astonishing verve, style and dexterity”.
End quote. It's the "more below" part that bothered her. Here it is. It follows a reference to her visiting Sydney aged 7.
Begin quote
At least her concert-wear would not have been controversial then. It might not cause comment now, either, outside the rather formal world of classical music, but her clothes became a cause celebre after the Los Angeles Times wrote of a 2011 concert that had there been any less of her dress, Hollywood Bowl management “might have been forced to restrict admission to any music lover under 18 not accompanied by an adult”. A New York reviewer noted of another concert: “A Times Square hooker, in the old days, would have said, ‘For heaven’s sake, put on some clothes!’.”
Wang, of course, is aware of the interest but is unconcerned. She told an English interviewer she simply dressed her age. “I can wear long skirts when I am 40.”
Does she find it easier to play in less restrictive clothing? “It’s quite irrelevant. I do like shorter dresses so I don’t trip over a long dress. I don’t wear sleeves so I have freedom of my arms – that’s my only requirement. I guess I just think about colour a bit, like a darker colour with Brahms.”
Nor is she disturbed if the debate has distracted some from taking her seriously as a pianist. “Seriously, I don’t think that is a concern because I do have a repertoire and an artistry that is the core. If people don’t take me seriously, then that’s their own judgment or prejudice against female or youth or something – but that’s not my problem. Besides, there’s nothing I can say – time will tell. In 20 years people will see.”
End quote.
It's the Times Square hooker comment she loathed, I think, but it was quoted by a critic and was too much fun not to use, or so I thought.
Yes, Brian, apparently the SMH complied. I had left by then, and was not involved in any discussions, but the Age arts editor told me her management had contacted the SMH.
Late amendment: Mind you I just did a search on the SMH website and it came up, so I might be wrong - I know only that they made the request. But Age stories often come up on the web as SMH stories so this evidence is not conclusive.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:16 am

Thanks, Barney, for all that.

However she dresses, she's a fine, capable artist. I don't get to see her outfits, because I'm not able to go to concerts, but from what I've heard I (mostly) like her playing. I think you made the point about her artistry well: if she wants to dress to show off her looks, well, she's coming out ahead because here we are talking about her and not other talented artists.

No publicity is bad publicity, and all you did was quote another critic from "The paper of record."

barney

Post by barney » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:48 pm

No argument, she is certainly a fine capable artist. And I believe I conveyed that. But it's hard for her to outrun a great quote.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:00 am

The NYTimes had this review this morning. Regards, Len

Review: Yuja Wang Makes a Case for the Piano as Percussion

By Joshua Barone

Oct. 28, 2018

Look up “Is the piano a percussion or string instrument?” online, and you’ll find an irreconcilable series of arguments for either side.

But on Friday night, the pianist Yuja Wang, in the first of her six Perspectives series concerts at Carnegie Hall this season, made a clear argument for the instrument as percussion: a versatile, but ultimately mechanical, contraption that makes music from hammers striking strings.

Her concert — an evening of works, some familiar and others much less so, arranged for only piano and percussion — was also a declaration that she would exploit the Perspectives platform to show New York City just what she was capable of beyond war-horse concertos and reliably impressive solo recitals.

What she is more than capable of, it turns out, is ceding the stage to other musicians. Despite all the attention Ms. Wang gets for pyrotechnic virtuosity and, I have to say, bold fashion, she is a remarkably unpretentious partner when she plays with peers like the violinist Leonidas Kavakos (they will share a Carnegie recital in February) and, in the case of Friday, the percussionist Martin Grubinger.

The lanky Mr. Grubinger, an Austrian virtuoso who was brilliantly athletic in John Corigliano’s percussion concerto “Conjurer” with the New York Philharmonic in 2016, shared billing with Ms. Wang in the Carnegie program, and commanded the stage with equal authority. He wields four mallets with such speed they tend to blur; yet his articulation couldn’t be clearer. Neither he nor Ms. Wang seemed to drop a note all night.

Joining them were three additional percussionists — including Mr. Grubinger’s father, Martin Grubinger Sr., who had arranged the four works on Friday’s program in ways that cleverly retained their musical integrity while drawing out the vibrantly percussive spirit at the heart of each piece. His arrangements were particularly revelatory in two of the evening’s most famous works: Bartok’s Sonata for Two Pianos and Percussion, and Stravinsky’s “The Rite of Spring.”

The Bartok, missing one piano, was no less melodic. Yet its intricate, varied rhythms were more exposed and amplified, and altogether electrifying. Ms. Wang, hammering ostinato chords with immense force that belied her small frame, didn’t have the look of a soloist with accompaniment, but of a percussionist among others in an ensemble.

And the Stravinsky, stripped of its full orchestra, was more grounded and ritualistic than I’ve ever heard it. What a breath of fresh air this was in a season unusually saturated with the ballet score: Where the New York Philharmonic’s “Rite” in September was labored and unmenacing, this one was terrifying and ultimately more reflective of the primitive, sacrificial dance. Ms. Wang, a mighty substitute for the work’s string instruments, demonstrated how the piece has always used violins as thinly veiled percussion.

Weighty and climactic, “Rite” often closes programs for a reason. So it was unfortunate that it didn’t on Friday. Rather, the concert continued, awkwardly, with Arturo Márquez’s 10-minute “Danzón No. 2,” comparatively lighter fare with tango rhythms and crowd-pleasing color.

But that was just one flaw in a daring and declarative evening that ultimately bodes well for Ms. Wang’s remaining Perspectives concerts. There will be standard repertory (a Prokofiev piano concerto, a Rachmaninoff chamber work), but also opportunities to push the boundaries of piano programming. If Friday seemed at all adventurous, just wait until she returns in February for an anything-goes romp with the classical music comedy duo Igudesman & Joo.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/28/arts ... -hall.html

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:00 am

That's the kind of review I like to read! Thanks!

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:26 pm

Just finished listening to Wang's Chopin Preludes on youtube, and was mightily impressed. Here she is at her best, with depth of feeling and outstanding technique combined into a truly illustrious performance. Wang has obviously become immersed in Chopin, and I would welcome more from her. Outstanding, individual, without being eccentric or offensive in any way. The Mozart PC IX, which follows, is also sensitive and beautifully played.