Callas in Color

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

Callas in Color

Post by lennygoran » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:56 am

I think I'd like to see this. Regards, Len

Callas in Color

A signature clip of Callas in Puccini’s “Tosca” has been colorized for the first time.
By Michael Cooper

Oct. 29, 2018

What was it like to experience the great soprano Maria Callas? Technology continues to try to approximate an answer for those who missed her storied career.

Her recordings have been remastered, and re-remastered. A holographic image of her, accompanied by a live orchestra, is going on a world tour. Now a new documentary, “Maria by Callas,” which opens in New York and Los Angeles on Nov. 2, has colorized some of the all-too-rare footage of her singing.

Here is Callas, now in vibrant color, in two of her most celebrated roles: Bellini’s Norma and Puccini’s Tosca. The “Tosca” film, taken at the Royal Opera House in London in 1964, is well known — but only in black and white. Tom Volf, the director of “Maria by Callas,” restored it in high definition and colorized it, bringing out deep red of her velvet dress, the gold of the brocade, the glitter of her jewels.

“The idea is to make her accessible to new generations, and younger audiences,” he said in a telephone interview.
Callas in the final scene of “Norma” in Paris, near the end of her operatic career.CreditSony Pictures Classics

Mr. Volf said that he got the idea to colorize some of Callas’s performances while collecting footage — much of which has never been seen before — for the film, and discovering, to his surprise, how much was already in color, and what a visceral reaction it gave him.

“It was very striking to me that watching her in color suddenly gave me the sense almost that she was alive, that she was there,” he said. “She was not some kind of dusty figure from the past, but somehow she was present, and in the present.”

So he decided to colorize some of the performance footage, too — but only in cases where he had good color photographs to match. For the Royal Opera “Tosca,” he tracked down the original reels of 16-millimeter film in one archive, and a full set of color images of the production in another.

“It was almost like a detective job,” he said. The photographs, he added, “gave us 100 percent of the references for everything: the sets, the costumes, her makeup, every single color.”

Colorization can be polarizing. Film buffs tend to cringe when classic black-and-white movies are colorized, but here there is no director whose auteur vision is being altered. Then there are the persistent questions of how well it is done; see the endless debates about the colors used to restore Michelangelo’s Sistine Chapel paintings. But Mr. Volf said that the colorized Callas was winning fans.

“The greatest compliment I had was from people who attended some of those performances,” he said. “They said to me after the film, ‘You know, we remember that red dress.’ They remembered, vividly, her makeup, because she had a very particular way of doing her makeup, and they said, ‘That was exactly it.’”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/29/arts ... tosca.html

maestrob

Re: Callas in Color

Post by maestrob » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:59 am

Hopefully this will be on youtube and some good soul will post it here......

lennygoran

Re: Callas in Color

Post by lennygoran » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:36 pm

A follow up-we've been back in nyc for musical events and also a tradition of checking out the XMAS window displays-we started with those on 5th ave near central park-those at bergdorf win the prize this year so far-anyway at 57th and 5th we turned the corner and staring us in the face where we saw the paris movie house-tickets were available for the 4:15 viewing of the Callas movie and we cancelled our plans to go to chinatown for vietnamese food.

Anyway the movie was worth seeing but I couldn't help but notice they didn't show her when she was 200 pounds and also didn't mention how terrible the comeback tours with steffano were. Also there were so many shots of her with the reporters and getting off planes got a little monotous for me. Still I am happy I saw it. Len