Alicia de Larrocha (pianist) Decca set [41 CDs]

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Alicia de Larrocha (pianist) Decca set [41 CDs]

Post by Lance » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:39 pm

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... SY355_.jpg
Decca 483 4120, 41 CDs + booklet

Having loved De Larrocha from her initial American Decca recordings (out-of-tune piano and all), I have followed her career to the end. She recorded for American Decca (monly only), British Decca, RCA, EMI, Hispavox, DGG (from American Decca), and has appeared on a few other independent labels. While she detested recording, it was her father who recognized the value of leaving a recorded legacy, and because of that, she recorded ... and prolifically. Always known especially for interpretation of Spanish piano music, her discography is extensive with most of the major composers, supplemented by some not regularly performed or recorded. The Hispavox recordings are licensed by EMI-Odeon, who previously issued those discs, and DGG who initially released the American Decca recordings.

This is an outstanding presentation to one of the Great Ladies of the keyboard, not to be missed by pianophiles, and fortunately, the price seems to be coming down. Included is a booklet with articles by her daughter, André Previn, Jed Distler, and full documentation of all the recordings and venues. All the CDs carry the original artwork in this limited edition.

Very highly recommended especially if you don't already own many of her recordings.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

RebLem
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.

Re: Alicia de Larrocha (pianist) Decca set [41 CDs]

Post by RebLem » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:29 am

​Alicia de Larrocha's cycle of the Mozart piano sonatas are among my favorites.

I own the following sets, listed alphabetically: Eschenbach, Gieseking, Kraus, Larrocha, Uchida, and Wurtz.
I like Gieseking best for structure, Larrocha best for details and ornamentation and phrasing.
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:17 am

Alicia de Larrocha has a special place in our hearts, and this set will definitely be under our Christmas tree. I love her playing, although how she managed to wrap her small hands around the Khachaturian concerto is a mystery to me! I have most of her Mozart concerti with Colin Davis, & they are sublime. This set contains much of her non-Spanish repertoire that I don't have, so we'll be looking forward to acquiring it. It's in my cart as we speak!

barney

Post by barney » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:12 pm

Decca Eloquence - the ultra budget arm in Australia - put out heaps of her piano recordings in the past couple of years. Plus of course the many I acquired over the years, such as the Mozart. I think I have at least 30 de Larrocha CDs, so I won't get this one.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:01 am

Maybe you'll get a free review copy! Indeed, Australian Eloquence is a godsend! I have many of their issues. Used to be one could only get them from Australia, but Amazon and others now carry the line.
barney wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:12 pm
Decca Eloquence - the ultra budget arm in Australia - put out heaps of her piano recordings in the past couple of years. Plus of course the many I acquired over the years, such as the Mozart. I think I have at least 30 de Larrocha CDs, so I won't get this one.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:39 am

The more I'm into this set, the more I am happy I got it. de Larrocha was, indeed, a very special pianist. I can't think of another pianist that does with Granados, Albeniz, and Mompou that de Larrocha does. I know her daughter wrote a book recently on the life of the pianist but I have not yet been able to determine if it is available in English. Anybody know?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief