Paderewski's Piano Concerto

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Paderewski's Piano Concerto

Post by Rach3 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:27 pm

A bit longish first mov. perhaps, but I still do not understand why this Concerto is apparently not played often . Live audio today from the Barbican in London, the BBC Symphony conducted by Michal Nesterowicz with pianist Janina Fialkowska :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0000z05

Have no idea, but I wonder if the slow mov. was inspired to some degree by the slow mov. of Chopin’s F minor Concerto, the outer movs. by the Saint-Saens 4th Concerto.Apparently, Paderewski had Saint-Saens review the score when first finished ( S-S approved it ).

My recording is the RCA lp with Earl Wild,Arthur Fiedler,London Symphony Orchestra.

Fialkowska, now 67, won the first Rubinstein Piano Competition in 1974.

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Paderewski's Piano Concerto

Post by Lance » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:17 am

Hard to believe Fialkowska is 67 already. I have some 16 of her recordings on ATMA, CBC, Opening Day Records, Danacord, and Naxos (the Paderewski piano concerto). She is a wonderful pianist though we don't hear that much about her currently. While I enjoy Paderewski's Piano Concerto in A Minor (Earl Wild's is a great pick!) my favourite work by Paderewski with piano and orchestra is his Polish Fantasy, Op. 19. Felicja Blumental, herself a Pole, made an excellent recording of the work originally for Vox, and subsequently on Brana [I believe a label run by her daughter Celine, the soprano] and perhaps Dureco Ars.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Rach3

Re: Paderewski's Piano Concerto

Post by Rach3 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:36 am

Lance wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:17 am
...my favourite work by Paderewski with piano and orchestra is his Polish Fantasy, Op. 19. Felicja Blumental, herself a Pole, made an excellent recording of the work originally for Vox...
Thanks for reminding me I have that Blumental Vox Turnabout lp, although I still prefer the Concerto over the Fantasy.The Blumental Vox lp paired another obscure work, a Rhapsody by Arensky for piano and orchestra.