Kurt Weill's Violin Concerto

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Kurt Weill's Violin Concerto

Post by Rach3 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:35 pm

After re-hearing the Glass and Adams VC's ( posted about earlier today ) , I re-heard the 1924 Concerto for Violin and Wind Orchestra,Op.12, of then 24-year old Kurt Weill ( of "Three Penny Opera ", "City of Mahagonny", other fame ) apparently composed after completion of his study with Ferrucio Busoni. My recording is a 1955 MGM lp of my parents, with violinist Anahid Ajemian and the MGM Wind Orchestra under Izler Solomon. The recording was made the week following its American premiere in NYC by those forces, in only one take, no editing , per its liner notes , as was felt by all the first takes were " so right and satisfying." I believe my last hearing of the lp and work was in my teens, when the music put me off , but I now find to be a very accessible and interesting work I'll need to hear more often than once every 50 years or so.

Here is a more recent recording :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVLo3bmvB4k

Elisabeth Glab, violin , Ensemble Musique Oblique, Philippe Herreweghe, conductor

John F

Re: Kurt Weill's Violin Concerto

Post by John F » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:11 pm

I don't know the violin concertos but I do know the two symphonies. From them you could guess that Weill had studied with Busoni, and that's one reason I like them. :)
John Francis

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:55 pm

I have not heard Weill's symphonies, but will give them a try.

Per the MGM lp liner notes, a critic in 1939 said of the Weill VC : " Above all, the effect is that of a very remarkable, shrilly expressive and painfully laughing Mahler, who puts every certain play under the spell of doubt...The piece stands isolated and alien: that is to say , in the right place..."

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:46 am

John F wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:11 pm
I don't know the violin concertos but I do know the two symphonies. From them you could guess that Weill had studied with Busoni, and that's one reason I like them. :)
Like you, John, I have not heard the Violin Concerto, and will happily give it a listen. I'm familiar with the two symphonies and like them: I have two recordings, one on a Barclay-Crocker reel-to-reel (I forget the forces involved) and one on CD with the David Atherton leading theHong Kong Philharmonic, both very good.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:42 pm

John F wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:11 pm
Listened today to Kurt Weill’s 1921 Symphony No.1, and 1933 Symphony No.2, the Philips recordings by De Waart with the Leipzig Gewandhaus, at YT, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCy0bfDwyt4 , and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlIv-DEX5b8 . Very worth hearing, thanks again. I found his Violin Concerto more interesting, but also enjoyed the Symphonies although probably not a purchase for me.