Hyperion's "Liszt Complete" ... continues!

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Hyperion's "Liszt Complete" ... continues!

Post by Lance » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:30 am

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... US218_.jpg

Just when we think we have the fabulous collection of all of Franz Liszt's solo piano music on Hyperion, another one of "new discoveries" comes forth. Leslie Howard, again, the pianist, presents what is believed to be first recordings, this Volume 4 of New Discoveries [Hyperion 68247, 74:35].

So, what's here? "The vast Hungarian Rhapsody No. 23, the Danse de sylphes, and six late pieces in their early drafts, the Maometto fantasy, short works by the teenaged Liszt, several Album Leaves, and the elusive Kavallerie-Geschwindmarsch!" Nineteen [19] tracks in all - something new for Lisztians! Recordings were made at Potton Hall in England in November 2017. ♫
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

barney

Re: Hyperion's "Liszt Complete" ... continues!

Post by barney » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:35 pm

That's disturbing, Lance, if you are a completist. I have the full Leslie Howard set mouldering away on top of one of the CD bookcases, and now you tell me I'm no longer complete! Still, I think I'll just have to live with that unsatisfactory state of affairs. :D

RebLem
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.

Re: Hyperion's "Liszt Complete" ... continues!

Post by RebLem » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:45 pm

I am waiting for someone to publish a 2 volume set--one with all the original works, and the other with all the adaptations, piano reductions, paraphrases, and other derivative works. I am really only interested in the former.
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.