For Cziffra fans

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

For Cziffra fans

Post by Rach3 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:27 am

These appear to be studio recordings. My French is not good enough to have understood. Perhaps all from the recordings picture shown at the site, the EMI box “ Complete Studio Recordings 1956-1986” ?

Radio Belgium Francaise again :

https://www.rtbf.be/auvio/detail_grands ... id=2424716

Some comments by Cziffra and his late son.

Chopin,Nouvelles Etudes,Op.45,No.1
Balakirev, “Islamey”

Liszt,Rhapsody # 2
Liszt, “ Dante “ Sonata

Rachmaninoff, 2nd PC - 1st mov. only
Beethoven Sonata # 13 , Op.27
Rimsky-Korsakov, “Bumblebee “
Mendelssohn, PC # 1 -Excerpt only from 1st mov.
Grieg PC, 1st mov.
Works by Couperin
Excerpts from Schumann’s “Symphonic Variations”.

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: For Cziffra fans

Post by Lance » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:04 am

Very great fan of Cziffra ... have communicated with his late wife as well. The mega-box from EMI is a treasure and contains his Philips and Decca recordings as well. And don't miss out on any of his Hungaroton recordings. There are many other labels offering his art in live performances such as Aura/Ermitage, Medici Arts, ICA Classics, Appian, Archipel, Brilliant Classics. I also have many private live performances of his work. An exceptional pianist who endured much horror in his lifetime including losing his only son.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:39 am

Another Cziffra fan here, especially his Liszt! :)

I sadly dithered over getting the 40CD box, and now of course it's unavailable. Perhaps Warner will reissue it, since they now own the rights.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:39 pm

You're kidding Brian - already OOP? Can't believe it. Even on the "used" market? Sometimes when they say "limited edition," I guess they mean it!
maestrob wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:39 am

I sadly dithered over getting the 40CD box, and now of course it's unavailable. Perhaps Warner will reissue it, since they now own the rights.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Holden Fourth

Post by Holden Fourth » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:27 pm

I snapped up the Cziffra 40 CD set as soon as it came out and haven't regretted it. I found it for sale for about $US130 on a Japanese site so it hasn't got exorbitantly expensive yet like the Rubinstein or Horowitz. But having said that it's selling for $US534 on Amazon UK.

CharmNewton

Post by CharmNewton » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:14 am

Lance wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:39 pm
You're kidding Brian - already OOP? Can't believe it. Even on the "used" market? Sometimes when they say "limited edition," I guess they mean it!
maestrob wrote:

The sale of EMI probably caused this one to disappear since it includes material owned by Universal. I suspect the rights to those recordings didn't transfer with the other assets, just as all of the EMI sets with Capitol material have gone OOP.

I can imagine that Warner issuing the EMI material and sweeten the box with live/previously unissued recordings.

John

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:19 am

John/CharmNewton, can you give me a few examples of the Capitol recordings/sets that did not transfer to Warner that went out of print? William Steinberg recorded for Capitol, but were there others? I haven't kept abreast of these deletions.
CharmNewton wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:14 am
Lance wrote:
maestrob wrote:

The sale of EMI probably caused this one to disappear since it includes material owned by Universal. I suspect the rights to those recordings didn't transfer with the other assets, just as all of the EMI sets with Capitol material have gone OOP.

I can imagine that Warner issuing the EMI material and sweeten the box with live/previously unissued recordings.

John
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

CharmNewton

Post by CharmNewton » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:07 pm

Lance wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:19 am
John/CharmNewton, can you give me a few examples of the Capitol recordings/sets that did not transfer to Warner that went out of print? William Steinberg recorded for Capitol, but were there others? I haven't kept abreast of these deletions.
CharmNewton wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:14 am
Lance wrote:
maestrob wrote:

John
Some big ones were the Stokowski, Rabin and Milstein Icon boxes. All of the Milstein mid-priced CD re-issues on Capitol are now OOP. Korean Universal recently issued a serious Milstein collection--37 CDs in very nice, laminated front-and-back original jackets. 6 discs comprising al of his recordings for DG and 31 from the Capito/HMV and Angel labels. The box does not claim to be the complete Capitol albums, but 31 is a lot of discs. Beautifully remastered too.

The budget discs that were on the Seraphim label look to be still available, but I bet the trademark to that label went to Universal Classics.

John

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:59 pm

Very interesting, John, and thank you for taking the time to check this out. Can you point me to someplace on the Web that is offering this set and where we might find the best price? I have a lot of Milstein material, but it looks like some of this material might be new to CD.
CharmNewton wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:07 pm
Some big ones were the Stokowski, Rabin and Milstein Icon boxes. All of the Milstein mid-priced CD re-issues on Capitol are now OOP. Korean Universal recently issued a serious Milstein collection--37 CDs in very nice, laminated front-and-back original jackets. 6 discs comprising all of his recordings for DG and 31 from the Capito/HMV and Angel labels. The box does not claim to be the complete Capitol albums, but 31 is a lot of discs. Beautifully remastered too.
The budget discs that were on the Seraphim label look to be still available, but I bet the trademark to that label went to Universal Classics.

John
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

CharmNewton

Post by CharmNewton » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:01 am

Lance wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:59 pm
Very interesting, John, and thank you for taking the time to check this out. Can you point me to someplace on the Web that is offering this set and where we might find the best price? I have a lot of Milstein material, but it looks like some of this material might be new to CD.
CharmNewton wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:07 pm
Some big ones were the Stokowski, Rabin and Milstein Icon boxes. All of the Milstein mid-priced CD re-issues on Capitol are now OOP. Korean Universal recently issued a serious Milstein collection--37 CDs in very nice, laminated front-and-back original jackets. 6 discs comprising all of his recordings for DG and 31 from the Capito/HMV and Angel labels. The box does not claim to be the complete Capitol albums, but 31 is a lot of discs. Beautifully remastered too.

John
There are two copies on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... s&_sacat=0

One is from the Korean dealer who sold a copy to me. Shipping was fast and exceptionally packaged. The other is cheaper and located in the U.S. and the price looks negotiable.

There may be other Korean dealers on the Internet, but I haven't seen any other copies of this set.

I found the set by accident. I was trying to find out if Warner or Universal owned the rights to the Capitol classical catalog. While I couldn't find out definitively, it looks like Universal owns them.

John