Tonight's Met Mefistofele

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

Tonight's Met Mefistofele

Post by lennygoran » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:42 am

Our last day on this trip in nyc was great-we had super weather for walking and exploring soho-imo it never looked better-Chinatown was lovely too except for a very bad attempt by a new for us restaurant's vietnamese crepe-I decided to send a review to tripadvisor. We love the music from the opera and play it frequently but this was our first ever viewing of the opera-the production was spectacular-never can I remember seeing more people on the Met stage and so many costumes-very good singing-a very enjoyable opera evening. The number of empty seats was rather concerning. Len

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Tonight's Met Mefistofele

Post by Lance » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:23 am

Did you eat it anyway, Lenny?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

John F

Post by John F » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:02 am

The only reason to revive "Mefistofele" is that there's a star bass for the title role - Samuel Ramey or, longer ago, Feodor Chaliapin. The Met's Christian Van Horn is not in that league, whatever his other virtues. No wonder there were empty seats.
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:32 am

Lance wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:23 am
Did you eat it anyway, Lenny?

Lance the inside has quite a bit of shrimp and bean sprouts and onion strips and the usual vietnamese sauce so we picked at the decent parts-the dough had no crispness and was too doughy to try and save-my review is now in tripadvisor. BTW service was friendly enough and the vietnames grilled pork chop dish which we always seem to order when ina vietnamese restaurant was delicious. Len

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:28 am

Even Toscanini only recorded the Prologue. Mefistofele is not that great a piece, and, as JohnF says, it's only revived for a star. Tuesday is not that great a night for opera fans anyway, so I wouldn't expect a full house even for, say, Sam Ramey. I am concerned about repeated reports of low attendance at the MET on a more general basis (hearsay, of course).

That said, I enjoy the opera and hope they broadcast it so I can see it for myself. My favorite recording of the Prologue is with Robert Shaw and, of course, Toscanini w/Nicola Moscona. I have both the Treigle and Ramey complete sets of course.

John F

Post by John F » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:00 pm

There exists a 1948 performance by Toscanini at La Scala including not only the "Mefistofele" prologue but also Act III, and moreover "Nerone" Acts III and IV part 2. The broadcast has been published on records in poor sound, but Toscanini was on fire and so, at the end, was the audience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WHvK9g ... 6s3m429apk

Compared with the young Cesare Siepi, Nicola Moscona was a rather dull Mephisto.

This was not a concert performance but fully staged, in the sets and costumes from before the War. The performance was homage to Toscanini's mentor and friend.
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:59 pm

maestrob wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:28 am
Even Toscanini only recorded the Prologue. Mefistofele is not that great a piece, and, as JohnF says, it's only revived for a star. .
Brian Sue and I agreed it was not as good as Gounod's but otoh this production was so entertaining and has some beautiful music that we were happy to have been there-btw we treated ourselves to dress circle as opposed to our usual balcony seats-one could get use to an indulgence like that! Regards, Len :D

PS-the performance won't be done HD style in the movie houses.