"Best" 2018 releases per WQXR

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

"Best" 2018 releases per WQXR

Post by Rach3 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:04 am

"Best" 2018 Classical releases per WQXR,fww:

https://www.wqxr.org/story/best-classic ... ases-2018/

maestrob

Re: "Best" 2018 releases per WQXR

Post by maestrob » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:49 am

Rach3 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:04 am
"Best" 2018 Classical releases per WQXR,fww:

https://www.wqxr.org/story/best-classic ... ases-2018/
Glad to see Vikingur Olafsson on the list: his Bach CD is truly a standout. Also glad to see Marin Alsop back in Baltimore w/Romeo & Juliet, another favorite. Lots of goodies there to add to my wantlist. Thanks, Rach3!

John F

Re: "Best" 2018 releases per WQXR

Post by John F » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:01 am

"Paddle to the Sea" is a children's book by Holling Clancy Holling that we had and I read when about 1/10 of my present age. The story, from amazon.com:

In the Nipigon country north of the Great Lakes a young boy carved the figure of an Indian in a canoe, christened him Paddle-to-the-Sea, and set him on a melting snow bank which the spring sun was truning into a tumbling mountain stream. Then Paddle began a journey that took him hundreds of miles from his birthplace. He escaped the jaws of a hungry sawmill and went on to see many things on his long trip through the Great Lakes and down the Saint Lawrence River--wild animals fleeing a forest fire, the wreck of a steamer caught in an icy winter storm on Lake Superior, loading and unloading at busy docks, the peaceful farms bordering the Saint Lawrence. He took a dizzy plunge over Niagara Falls and managed by a miracle to survive the whirlpools. He was buffeted by many winds and currents and was helped on his way by human hands, until, at last, he reached the Atlantic and earned the right to be called a true Paddle-to-the-Sea.

We had some other books written and illustrated by Holling: "Tree in the Trail," "Seabird," and maybe others. I'd forgotten about them, but this reminder makes me think that one of them might be just the thing for my nieces, as it was for my brother and me.
John Francis