Javier Camarena "Contrabandista" on Decca

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Javier Camarena "Contrabandista" on Decca

Post by Lance » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:44 pm

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... SY355_.jpg
Decca 483 3958, 71:45 [Book-style edition]

The great mezzo-soprano, Cecilia Bartoli, had much to do with this release. Tenor Javier Camarena is one of her proteges, and the album has a golden logo, "Mentored by Bartoli."

"Javier Camarena explores the life and music of legendary Spanish tenor Manuel Garcia. This collection features works by Garcia himself, including three world premiere recordings, alongside fovourites by Rossini and Zingarelli. Javier Camarena is joined here by Cecilia Bartoli, his mentor for this album, in a stunning duet from Rossini's Armida. Contrabadidista marks the first album in the "Mentored by Bartoli" series, a collaboration between Cecilia Bartoli and the Cecilia Bartoli Music Foundation and Decca Classics."

Camarena's voice has superb, ringing high notes in this ultra-virtuosic music, and the duet mentioned above, alone, is worth the price of this first-class presentation. Les musiciens du Prince—Monaco, beautifully recorded, is under the direction of Gianluca Capuano. Only in one selection did I have the sense the tenor was struggling a little bit, but that's a minor issue in what may prove to present some outstanding singers coming forth.

Highly recommended!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

lennygoran

Re: Javier Camarena "Contrabandista" on Decca

Post by lennygoran » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:46 pm

Lance wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:44 pm
Camarena's voice has superb, ringing high notes
Lance we've heard him twice now live in Met operas and will hear him again this season-an absolutely superb experience-he was a friend of Jose who used to post in our forum. Regards, Len

maestrob

Re: Javier Camarena "Contrabandista" on Decca

Post by maestrob » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:55 am

Good morning, Lance!

As per your recommendation, I bought this superb CD, but it sat on my shelves unopened until recently.

What an amazing discovery!

There's no need for me to post a review here, as you have already done so. I just wanted to say "Thank-you!" for recommending this outstanding CD! :D

I do remember hearing Camarena in a MET telecast with Pretty Yende in "La Fille du regiment" a while back, and was, of course, very enthusiastic about his singing then as well!

For those who are intrigued, the album can now be streamed on amazon.