Henryk Szeryng's 44-CD Decca set

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Henryk Szeryng's 44-CD Decca set

Post by Lance » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:08 pm

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... SX425_.jpg
Complete DGG, Philips, Decca and Mercury Recordings

Here's a blurb on this set, which just arrived today, and I could not be more delighted. But Amazon's blurb says this:

"Marking the centenary of this great patrician of 20th century musicians, Decca presents his Complete Philips, Mercury and DG recordings in an original jackets 42-CD collection, including several previously unreleased recordings, several rarities released for the first time on CD and the Brahms Violin Concerto recorded by Decca and released on RCA’s Living Stereo label. The Philips and Mercury recordings are newly remastered at 24-bit. The 120-page booklet includes a new essay by Tully Potter."

MY QUESTION FOR CLARIFICATION:
The Brahms Violin Concerto with Monteux appeared on RCA CD 6716, and also on the RCA Monteux Edition [set 07348]. Apparently that performance was recorded in London (for RCA) in 1959 with the London Symphony Orchestra. The two performances in the new Decca box include: a] the Brahms Violin Concerto with the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra under the baton of Bernard Haitink, recorded in Holland in 1973 and issued on the Philips label; and the Brahms Violin Concerto with the London Symphony Orchestra under the baton of Antal Dorati, recorded in July 1962 and issued on the Mercury label.

Inasmuch as Pierre Monteux made many recordings with the London Symphony Orchestra (or Phiharmonic), that 1959 recording with Szeryng does NOT appear in the new Decca box. Unless I missed something along the way, can someone give me an explanation with regard to the Decca blurb mentioned above? I am not aware of either the Haitink performance on Philips nor the Dorati performance on Mercury ever appearing on an RCA Victor LP. Parenthetically, the Szeryng/Monteux/LSO performance was issued on an RCA Living Stereo LP and subsequently on a Victrola stereo LP.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Henryk Szeryng's 44-CD Decca set

Post by Lance » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:31 pm

I have been digging into this set today/tonight. Transfers are outstanding, and Szeryng's musicianship is totally impeccable in every aspect. Such a lovely, singing tone quality. His Schubert Sonatinas and Sonata with Haebler, and the Handel violin sonatas with Huguette Dreyfus make quite an impression. One thing for sure, Szeryng plays with a lot of heart.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:31 am

Hi, Lance!

I have that set coming in the mail soon as well. Szeryng's Mozart is non-pareil IMHO, and was recently rated Best on Record by BBC Magazine. Can't wait to start listening!

John F

Post by John F » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:13 am

Lance wrote:Parenthetically, the Szeryng/Monteux/LSO performance was issued on an RCA Living Stereo LP and subsequently on a Victrola stereo LP.
Monteux was music director of the London Symphony Orchestra and their recordings appeared on the London/Decca label. But Szering was at the time an RCA Victor artist. I can see how the Szering/Monteux Brahms might have appeared first on RCA Victor and later on Decca. But it appears that despite the blurb, this isn't in the Szering box, or else it is and the contents list is mistaken. Which I suppose you didn't need me to tell you. :)
John Francis

mikealdren

Post by mikealdren » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:25 am

Hi Lance,
I think Amazon must be wrong, the RCA Tchaikovsky (Boston/Munch) and Devil's Trill aren't there either. I have quite a lot of duplicates but I am tempted nonetheless.
I do like his Mozart sonatas and concerti, the latter got a rough ride in the UK when they were issued as part of the Phillips Mozart edition as everyone preferred the Grumiaux, I think both are very good and Szeryng also has K271a, it may not be Mozart but I like it!
Mike

John F

Post by John F » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:31 pm

Those were purely RCA Victor recordings and wouldn't be in this box as the blurb describes it. As for the recordings Decca made for RCA Victor in the 1960s, the rights have reverted to Decca who have published the reissues.
John Francis

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:09 pm

Well, I have to say from the countless recordings I have heard of the Mozart violin sonatas, for me the gold standard is Grumiaux with Clara Haskil at the piano. I have high regard for Haebler as well, but Haskil's contribution, for me, ranks higher. Oddly, both recordings were for Philips. The best way to handle this is to have BOTH! :)

I can understand the Tchaikovsky/Boston/Munch not being issued by Decca, who was long under contract to RCA. But the Brahms violin concerto with Monteux/LSO, recorded in 1959 is simply not there. My next test will be to play the RCA Brahms and compare it with the Philips, time-wise, especially. I'll keep you posted.
mikealdren wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:25 am
Hi Lance,
I think Amazon must be wrong, the RCA Tchaikovsky (Boston/Munch) and Devil's Trill aren't there either. I have quite a lot of duplicates but I am tempted nonetheless.
I do like his Mozart sonatas and concerti, the latter got a rough ride in the UK when they were issued as part of the Phillips Mozart edition as everyone preferred the Grumiaux, I think both are very good and Szeryng also has K271a, it may not be Mozart but I like it!
Mike
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:11 pm

One would think, then, that Decca would have included all three of the Brahms violin concerto in this new set.
John F wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:31 pm
Those were purely RCA Victor recordings and wouldn't be in this box as the blurb describes it. As for the recordings Decca made for RCA Victor in the 1960s, the rights have reverted to Decca who have published the reissues.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief