Is Zajick To Old To Do Amneris

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

Is Zajick To Old To Do Amneris

Post by lennygoran » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:53 am

We're going to be back in nyc for the Adriana Lecouvreur in Jan and I was thinking it might be nice to see the Aida while we're already in NYC-I've read good things about Lee and love Radnovsky--the production is superb-what troubles me a little is having Dolora Zajick for Amneris-we've liked her in the past and she's been wonderful but as for now I do wonder if she's still right for it-she's 66 years old. Meantime I'm not sure about Frontali either but I see he's been at the Met 88 times over the years? Regards, Len

John F

Re: Is Zajick To Old To Do Amneris

Post by John F » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:51 am

I wouldn't worry about it. Lower-voiced singers tend to remain active longer; Fedora Barbieri didn't cease performing principal roles until her 70s. Here's a review from 2 years ago of "Un ballo in maschera":

"Dolora Zajick is astonishing. Wikipedia tells me she is sixty-two. Here is one of those mezzo voices that become more authoritative every year that passes. Audience members were almost diving under their seats with the dark power of her incantations. You won’t find a finer Ulrica anywhere. Stunning. Just what it needs to be." (Seen and Heard International, 28 October 2016) "Dolora Zajick still performs the role of the fortune-teller Ulrica magnificently..." (Altamusica, 22 October 2016)

Of course if you're mainly concerned about her looks... :roll:
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:23 am

John F wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:51 am
Thanks-still you caught me-yeah looks matter to me! Regards, Len [fleeing] :lol:

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:45 am

lennygoran wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:23 am
John F wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:51 am
Thanks-still you caught me-yeah looks matter to me! Regards, Len [fleeing] :lol:
Looks are important, sure, but the MET has kept Zajick on because she's a powerhouse of a performer, a unique voice that reliably delivers great singing. I have two telecasts of her in Trovatore that knock me flat every time I see them. Please don't give up on her Amneris: she certainly doesn't sound "old" in any way.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:43 pm

maestrob wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:45 am
Looks are important, sure, but the MET has kept Zajick on because she's a powerhouse of a performer, a unique voice that reliably delivers great singing. I have two telecasts of her in Trovatore that knock me flat every time I see them. Please don't give up on her Amneris: she certainly doesn't sound "old" in any way.
Brian thanks-we've heard her quite a few times over the years and she's been wonderful-the Aida in Jan definitely tempts us as we'll be in NYC for 4 days! Regards, Len