Earl Wild remembered

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Earl Wild remembered

Post by Rach3 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:03 pm

1964 studio recordings by the late pianist Earl Wild, originally Vanguard lp, now on my cd :

Henri Herz ( “Old Double-Note” ) - Variations on 'Non piu mesta' from Rossini's “ La Cenerentola “ :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn7in5ASeNE

Sigsmund Thalberg (“Old Arpeggio” ) – Fantasy on Donizetti’s “Don Pasquale” :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpza-CFCawQ

Godowsky’s Symphonic Metamorphoses on Johann Strauss’ “ Künstlerleben” :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIWHoYFVaIY

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Earl Wild remembered

Post by Lance » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:05 pm

Wonderful pianist, certainly one of the last of the great romantics. Could be a difficult person. I prepared his piano for the Rach 2 on a couple of occasions. I collect his recordings voraciously.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

absinthe

Post by absinthe » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:23 pm

Can anyone forget Earl Wild?
I have several recordings of from which I've taken much inspiration. (It was him who taught me the knack of playing a melodic line with the thumbs freeing the fingers to play either side, through one of his compositions. Lisztian in a way.)
All his compositions are difficult.

He lived a long life and brought much pleasure to listeners of his (mainly romantic, it seems) repertoire.

His interpretation of Gershwin is superb but... frightening for anyone aspiring to play.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:40 pm

His 1961 recording, originally my RCA lp, of Gershwin's Concerto in F with Fiedler and the Boston Pops remains my fav of the Concerto , even over Levant's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B8LORmQFOM ( Concerto )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QJUi83KZFw ( Wild's own Piano Sonata )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYJY2glnyL0 ( Wild's "Gershwin Etudes " )

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:42 am

I had the good fortune to hear Earl Wild twice in recital. The first time was 1971 and the venue was Alice Tully Hall in Lincoln Center. I (foolishly) did not hold onto the printed program, but I do remember a mesmerizing performance of Chopin's 4th Ballade. The next time was 2004. Here are my impressions from that recital:
On Saturday night, July 17, the [International Keyboard Institute and] Festival continued with a recital by a living legend, Earl Wild. He is either age 88 (according to his printed bio) or 89 (according to him, correcting David Dubal in a post-recital interview). In either case, he is still a master technician and a consummate musician. Oh yes, there are a few passages of rapid finger work here and there where he seems to get a little tied up. But who cares? The audience of pianists (including, among others, Alicia De Larrocha) and piano aficionados enthusiastically applauded his varied program.

He began with a sparkling performance of Haydn’s Sonata in D Major, emphasizing the impish humor of the third movement. He then played Beethoven’s Sonata in E Flat Major, Op. 31, No. 3, illuminating the surprising twists and turns of this piece. After a less-than-full intermission (at Wild’s request), he returned for his version of “fasten your seat belt” Liszt, the Ballade No. 2. It was a stunning performance for a pianist of any age. Before concluding with a piece I had heard before, Moskowski’s “Etincelles,” he played two fascinating works that were new to me, Eugen D’Albert’s “Scherzo” and Respighi’s “Notturno.” I had a good view of the keyboard for this recital, and the D’Albert, in particular, appears to be devilishly difficult. Wild not only solved its problems; he presented a thrilling and memorable performance of this showpiece.

John F

Post by John F » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:02 am

I guess the only Earl Wild recordings I have are the Rachmaninoff concertos with Jascha Horenstein conducting - I believe this was originally a Readers' Digest set. Frankly, I got it for the conductor. Wild has no problem with the notes (though Horowitz he ain't), the playing is very clean as you'd expect, but I didn't hear any depth of feeling, and haven't listened to those recordings again.
Last edited by John F on Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Francis

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:55 am

John F wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:02 am
I guess the only Earl Wild recordings I have are the Rachmaninoff concertos with Jascha Horenstein conducting - I believe this was originally a Readers' Digest set. Franklyh, I got it for the conductor. Wild had no problem with the notes (though Horowitz he ain't), the playing is very clean as you'd expect, but I didn't hear any depth of feeling, and haven't listened to those recordings again.
Agree. I'd have to listen to more of Earl Wild's recordings to give a further evaluation, but I must admit I haven't got them. Liked his Gershwin with Boston, but that piece is not a good place to start.

barney

Post by barney » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:50 am

He figures, as one might expect, in the Philips Great Pianists of the 20th Century collection. Without going back to check, I remember a lot of transcriptions and paraphrases that can be quite thrilling, eg the Strauss-Evler arabesques on the beautiful blue Danube. Also, in the RCA commemorative set there's some terrific Gershwin.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:57 pm

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... US218_.jpg
RCA 03074, 5 CDs (RCA and Columbia)

When this marvelous set was reissued by RCA, there was a little note indicating that his 1962 recordings of paraphrases on Rigoletto, Don Giovanni, Lucia di Lammermoor, Norma, and Trovatore were NOT included in the set for whatever reason. It may have been a special deal RCA arranged with Wild as a "gift" to RCA Club subscribers. The rights probably belonged to Wild. It was disappointing for me. I have the original RCA Record Club LP [CSC-302], which was offered to members of the RCA Club but not available commercially. They were beautifully performed and recorded. Finally, a little-known British company, Forgotten Records, came out with this music on CD [799], thankfully, well remastered apparently from the original stereo LP. Earl Wild certainly made his mark among the great pianists of the 20th and into the 21st century. He is well documented on discs, including Ivory Classics, Columbia/Sony, Chesky, RCA, Chandos, Etcetera, Audiophon, Vanguard, Hunt, Pellarin, Menuet, Onyx, dell'Arte, CRI, Philips, and EMI, many of which were reissued on his own label, Ivory Classics. His recordings for Vanguard were some of the best and most interesting he ever made.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]