Willard White, bass-baritone

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Willard White, bass-baritone

Post by Lance » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:51 pm

I have taken an interest in this Jamaican-born bass, WILLARD WHITE, mostly from an introduction (to me) of a CD appearing on the Alto label [1305], which contains spirituals, the famous "Pearl Fishers" duet, some popular-type songs ... quite a diverse recital, recorded live, and performed with the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra under Carl Davis' direction. This seems to be a low-level recording (sound-wise), but delivers a good cross section of the singer's art nonetheless. That led me to a Chandos CD [8960], which contains 10 American spirituals, sets I and II of Copland's Old American Songs and three folk songs from Barbados and Jamaica. The Chandos disc is beautifully recorded with Graeme McNaught at the piano ... highly recommended especially for the Copland Old American Songs. I have some other recordings coming of the singer's voice. He did a complete Handel Acis and Galatea on DGG-Archiv, a favorite opera of mine with that fabulous aria "O Ruddier than the Cherry" that was rendered so incomparably with Owen Brannigan. That opera I do not have as yet. Anyone else know this voice?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

John F

Re: Willard White, bass-baritone

Post by John F » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:36 am

I knew him only from "Porgy and Bess," and wasn't expecting much when he sang the role of Golaud in "Pelléas et Mélisande" at the Met in 2000. He was excellent as both singer and actor. In the following seasons he sang a few smaller roles and hasn't been back since 2011. Too bad.
John Francis

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:10 pm

White seemed to be highly regarded in Porgy. I never heard much of him until I heard the live material on the Alto label, but his Chandos disc of spirituals and the Copland Old American Songs were done superbly well. Born in 1946 and now 72, no doubt we don't be hearing much from him any longer.
John F wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:36 am
I knew him only from "Porgy and Bess," and wasn't expecting much when he sang the role of Golaud in "Pelléas et Mélisande" at the Met in 2000. He was excellent as both singer and actor. In the following seasons he sang a few smaller roles and hasn't been back since 2011. Too bad.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:15 pm

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51k ... UL436_.jpg

Another recital disc has come forth entitled Willard White: My Way on Sony Classical 92943 [57:46] issued in 2005 and I had never before seen it advertised. This is quite a potpourri of material all conducted by Carl Davis and the BBC Concert Orchestra. The recording quality is excellent, and in two of the Gershwin selections, he is joined by soprano Cynthis Haymon, and, of course, we have a selection of the wonderful spirituals.

1. Jamica Farewell
2. I Got Plenty Of Nuttin'
3. Ol' Man River
4. I Loves You Porgy
5. Smile
6. Some Enchanted Evening
7. Solas Market
8. If I Was A Rich Man
9. Didn't My Lord
10. Bess You Is My Woman
11. Come Back Liza
12. Blow Gabriel Blow