What a musical genius that CZERNY!

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

What a musical genius that CZERNY!

Post by Lance » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:42 am

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... US218_.jpg
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... SX425_.jpg
CPO 777.822, 73:48

Those who have studied piano are very much aware of the work of Carl Czerny (1791-1857). But he was so much more, and I am very happy that more and more of his music is coming forth on recordings.

A real treasure acquired recently are two of Czerny's violin sonatas: Grande Sonata for Piano and Violin in A Major, [41:52] and the Sonata Concertante in E-flat Major for Violin and Piano [31:37]. Kolja Lessing is the violinist and Rainer Maria Klass is the pianist in the Grande Sonata in E-flat while Anton Kuerti is the pianist in the Sonata Concertante. The recordings were made in Nürnberg in 2015 and 2013 respectively. Kuerti is well known for his travesal of many of Czerny's works in concert and on recordings [a fabulous multi-disc set is on the Doremi label (6011, 3 CDs); Another is on Analekta (3141)]. Both pianists are masters in the collaboration with this outstanding violinist on the subject disc.

While Czerny may have been one of Beethoven's favourite pupils, his music is very much influenced by Beethoven, however, Czerny takes it to the next step and directly into the more Romantic era. His musical thoughts and ideas are considerable. Naturally, being a great pianist in his own right, the piano accompaniments are highly virtuosic. As stated, both pianists are outstanding, but Kuerti's work in the Sonata Concertante is something to write home about.

How many violin sonatas do we know that last longer than 40 minutes? And the music never loses its momentum in either piece. Why these pieces are not performed in concert remains a mystery to me. The first work in A major is in the traditional three movements while the E-flat major work has four, and the concluding movement, marked Molto allegro quasi presto, lasting 11:15 minutes alone is highly original for both instruments and will bring you back to this recording many times.

Five stars! ***** Excellent balances and recording with extensive notes. More Czerny CPO, please!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Re: What a musical genius that CZERNY!

Post by maestrob » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:55 am

Thanks for bringing this up, Lance. I have the three-record set you mentioned with Kuerti, and admire Czerny's music very much. I'll put the CPO release on my wantlist right away!