‘Aida’ Gives a Taste of the Met Opera’s Bad Old Days

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

‘Aida’ Gives a Taste of the Met Opera’s Bad Old Days

Post by lennygoran » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:44 pm

We see Aida this Mon-Woolfe didn't like it-oh well we'll see-too bad Sondra Radvanovsky bowed out. Regards, Len

Review: ‘Aida’ Gives a Taste of the Met Opera’s Bad Old Days

By Zachary Woolfe

Jan. 10, 2019

It speaks to the general high quality of the Metropolitan Opera these days that performances like this week’s “Aida” are rare.

Yes, in the 21st century there may be fewer deliriously great nights at the opera than there once were. (Though try to get a ticket to the Met’s “Adriana Lecouvreur,” if you want a taste of what those were like.)

But if the highs have winnowed, so have the lows. You’re far less likely than you were even 15 or 20 years ago to be embarrassed by the company — to face what opera fanatics call, with fascinated disdain, filth.

The befuddled casts thrown together for the season’s umpteenth “La Bohème.” The routinier conductors. The creaky sets. These all used to be far too common, but the Met under Peter Gelb, its general manager since 2006, chugs along with more professionalism. We can argue about stagings and singers, but the operation overall is solid.

Sometimes, though, you get a whiff of the bad old days, like a sudden glimpse of the seedy, pre-Disney Times Square. That was the perverse glory of the “Aida” on Monday. Returning for four performances after a starry run in the fall — followed by three more, with a new cast, later in the winter — the show stumbled from start to finish.

Summoning a quartet of great Verdi singers — soprano, mezzo-soprano, tenor and baritone — isn’t easy, but there’s no reason a major opera house should go 0 for 4. The tenor Yonghoon Lee fared best of the central foursome as Radamès, but apart from a loud, tightly ringing high register, his sound lost energy lower down and tended to thin into a croon at anything softer than a scream. Roberto Frontali’s voice lacked focus as it delved into Amonasro’s baritonal depths.

The mezzo Dolora Zajick, who has been singing Amneris at the Met for 30 years, is, at 66, a wonder of longevity. But her once-mighty volume has faded, other than an occasional forced burst of blunt power, leaving only her stolid, vaguely querulous portrayal of this complex character.

Making her Met debut as Aida, a role she’s sung around the world, the soprano Kristin Lewis lacked vocal fullness and color; her performance gave the impression of a faint pencil sketch of the part. (Sondra Radvanovsky was originally scheduled, but canceled on Christmas Eve.) The bass Soloman Howard, as the King, was the only one onstage with a dependably steady, clear, penetrating sound. This muted ensemble was presided over with brisk facelessness by the conductor Nicola Luisotti, who gave little sense of the majestic atmosphere that should fill the work’s civic scenes, nor of the urgency of the personal drama.

It was a vexed evening all around. Ms. Lewis seemed to be nearly crushed by a lowering set before “Ritorna vincitor.” The amplification of the offstage priests in the Judgment Scene was distorted, resulting in weird sibilants blaring from above the proscenium. Even one of the horses in the Triumphal Scene bridled hard, all too ready to bolt the stage.

Indeed, the only real highlight of the performance was a single note: Ms. Lewis ended that Triumphal Scene with a high E flat, an octave above what Verdi wrote.

This flashy interpolation didn’t really exist in opera lovers’ imaginations before Maria Callas was captured doing it in pirated, widely circulated live recordings from Mexico City in the early 1950s. Since then, some Aidas have added the note, but it remains unusual enough that I hadn’t heard it in person until Monday; for that, I thank Ms. Lewis, even if her clean, brief E flat was far from a resonant, Callas-style spear.

I recognize that sometimes repertory staples deep in the season return to the stage with precious little rehearsal. But with some in the audience paying hundreds of dollars for tickets, there’s no excuse for something like this. And besides, Bizet’s “Carmen” came back for nine performances on Wednesday — like “Aida,” after a run in the fall — in considerably better shape.

Not that everything went smoothly for “Carmen,” either. The turntable that rotates the Act I set of Richard Eyre’s production was broken, so it needed to be essentially restaged on the fly. Under the baton of Louis Langrée, the children’s chorus got painfully away from the orchestra near the beginning, and balances were sometimes off: At the end of “Les tringles des sistres tintaient,” in Act II, you could barely hear the melody.

But things settled down — and the turntable functioned at its next appearance, at the very end of the opera. Don José has been one of the tenor Roberto Alagna’s best Met roles, and he sounded youthfully inflamed on Wednesday, stronger than when he opened the company’s season with a painfully unsteady performance of “Samson et Dalila” in September. (He, too, settled down later in that run.)

Mr. Alagna’s onstage presence has become more subdued than it used to be: I wanted more obvious unraveling, more physical heat from this “Carmen,” as I did from his paternal turns in “Cavalleria Rusticana” and “Pagliacci” a year ago. But by the end of “Carmen,” his quiet ferocity — a homicidal explosion of what we’d now call toxic masculinity — was chilling.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/10/arts ... opera.html

John F

Re: ‘Aida’ Gives a Taste of the Met Opera’s Bad Old Days

Post by John F » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:56 am

Zachary Woolfe wrote:I recognize that sometimes repertory staples deep in the season return to the stage with precious little rehearsal. But with some in the audience paying hundreds of dollars for tickets, there’s no excuse for something like this.
Of course there is. It's known in the theatre as "the show must go on." No opera company with a season as long and dense as this, with 7 performances of varied repertoire every week for 7 solid months, can possibly maintain its own highest standards every night. The years when Herbert von Karajan ran the Vienna State Opera may be thought of as golden years, and they were when Karajan was conducting, but not on the many more nights when he wasn't.

Woolf happened to see a poor performance, by his account, but that's only one out of 200 plus in the season, seven in the week. And when the leading role has had to be recast at such short notice, with little time for rehearsing an opera that was last rehearsed and performed only 2 months previously, things will necessarily be unsettled. I credit the Met with having found a replacement who has sung the role "around the world," and her for stepping into a production most likely very different from those she's sunt in recently. That it didn't add up on the night is too bad, but that's show biz.

As for the suggestion that the audience didn't get its money's worth, they got "Aida" in a faithful and spectacular production the likes of which are hard to find in today's opera houses; they got the Met's superior chorus and orchestra, which count for a lot in this opera; and apart from the soprano, they got the singers who had been advertised since the beginning. We in the CompuServe Music Forum had an argument about this, in which one member insisted that if the audience was dissatisfied with a performance, they should get their money back. Yeah, sure. Besides which, Woolfe doesn't say whether this audience was dissatisfied with this "Aida," or with any of the singers, though no doubt they were disappointed not to hear Sondra Radvanovsky; if there had been booing, I expect he would have told us. And every member of the audience, even in the most expensive seats, paid far less than the actual cost of putting this performance on.

By the way, Kristin Lewis is not just another opera soprano. In 2014 she created the Kristin Lewis Foundation which awards scholarships to 5 young singers from her home state of Arkansas, and since then she has created a second foundation in Vienna with an international reach. She is also active in humanitarian work of various kinds. All this is beside the point of whether she sang well as Aida on January 7, but to me it suggests that she is too important to make her Met debut under such disadvantageous conditions.
John Francis

Len_Z

Post by Len_Z » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:49 am

Radvanovsky should be back for the last three performances of the run in late Feb. - early March. Although they will be conducted by the worst podium desecrator in the world Placido Domingo, I still exchanged my ticket for Feb 28 because of Radvanovsky. This is our last chance to hear her in NYC for a while - she's not on the Met schedule until at least 2021

John F

Post by John F » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:54 am

I was looking for performances by Radvanovsky online and couldn't find any. Her web site hasn't been kept up to date - nothing there after 2017 - and the Future Met Wiki site doesn't have much info about singers even for 2019-20. Anna Netrebko has been edging her out of her best repertoire, with Aida this season, Lady Macbeth in next season's new production, and Aida again in a new production the following season. Surely there's room for two Verdi sopranos at the Met after many seasons when there wasn't even one. It won't be many months until the Met annoucnes the 2019-20 season and then we'll see.
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:20 am

John F wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:56 am
As for the suggestion that the audience didn't get its money's worth, they got "Aida" in a faithful and spectacular production the likes of which are hard to find in today's opera houses; they got the Met's superior chorus and orchestra, which count for a lot in this opera; and apart from the soprano, they got the singers who had been advertised since the beginning.
John so well said-we were going to be in NYC anyway and hadn't seen an Aida in many many years-we loved the production-I figured lets give it a shot. I of course now wish I had chosen to see it with Netrebko and Rachvelishvili but Rachvelishvili was unknown to me when I created my own series-after seeing her yesterday in Adriana I see what Muti was talking about-she was just outstanding! Regards, Len

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:24 am

Len_Z wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:49 am
This is our last chance to hear her in NYC for a while - she's not on the Met schedule until at least 2021
Maybe she needs more time to rest up after doing Donizetti's 3 Queen operas a few seasons back-she was just imo superb in those. Regards, Len :)

John F

Post by John F » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:11 am

It's a good thing Len got to see this production one more time, because these are its last performances. Two seasons from now there's to be a new production.
John Francis

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:44 am

I'll be watching the telecast of Aida on Sunday 1/20/19 at 1PM, but I have no idea of the cast. As of now, I'm assuming it will be Radvanovsky/Rachvelishvili (conductor unknown), and am looking forward very much to the event. Does anyone here remember the cast from the HD presentation in movie theaters?

John F

Post by John F » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:25 am

That will be a rerun of the HD transmission of December 15, 2012. The cast:

Aida....................Liudmyla Monastyrska
Radamès.................Roberto Alagna
Amneris.................Olga Borodina
Amonasro................George Gagnidze
Ramfis..................Stefan Kocán
King....................Miklós Sebestyèn
Messenger...............Hugo Vera
Priestess...............Jennifer Check
Dance...................Laura Otto
Dance...................Scott Weber

Conductor...............Fabio Luisi
John Francis

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:10 pm

John F wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:25 am
That will be a rerun of the HD transmission of December 15, 2012. The cast:

Aida....................Liudmyla Monastyrska
Radamès.................Roberto Alagna
Amneris.................Olga Borodina
Amonasro................George Gagnidze
Ramfis..................Stefan Kocán
King....................Miklós Sebestyèn
Messenger...............Hugo Vera
Priestess...............Jennifer Check
Dance...................Laura Otto
Dance...................Scott Weber

Conductor...............Fabio Luisi
Don't know Liudmyla Monastyrska, but Borodina and the others seem acceptable. I'll be listening intently to Alagna as he's been controversial in the role: let's hope he had a good night. Thanks for looking it up!

Len_Z

Post by Len_Z » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:03 am

Monastyrska is a wonderful singer, imho, and her Aida is exceptional. Unfortunately, that's the only part the Met keeps on offering her and she's not interested in doing it anymore. Hence, no Monastyrska at the Met.

As for Radvanovska, she cancelled the January Aidas because of a family emergency, otherwise she's on top form. She just sang an absolutely outstanding Tosca in New York and in Berlin and will be doing Il Pirata in Paris next December. She will also sing a 'Three Queens Recital' in Toronto and Chicago next season; maybe at the Carnegie Hall, too (not confirmed at the moment of writing). Nothing at the Met until at least 2021, though. Perhaps even longer.

I don't know about her performances online, but her Met 'Norma' with Joyce DiDonato just got released on DVD and Blu-ray. There's also a 'Norma' from Barcelona; 'Il trovatore' from the Met; 'Syrano de Bergerac' with Domingo; and a Moscow concert with the late Hvorostovsky. That's on commercial videos. Some pirate stuff has been floating around, too. As for CDs, she's only recorded two: 'Verdi Arias' and 'Duets' with Hvorostovsky. Hope this helps.

Have I mentioned I love her dearly and consider her one of the top 2-3 spintos working today?:)))))

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:10 am

Len_Z wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:03 am
As for Radvanovska... her Met 'Norma' 'Il trovatore' 'Syrano de Bergerac' with Domingo
We saw all 3 of those live at the Met-she was just wonderful!!! Regards, Len