Pianist Simon Trpĉeski

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Pianist Simon Trpĉeski

Post by Lance » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:44 pm

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.o7H6 ... d=3.1&rm=2
Oddly, while I heard of the Macedonian pianist Simon Trpĉeski, I never acquired any of his recordings until recently. We heard him in a Chopin Mazurka on NPR the other day and went wild. He began his recording career by making a disc for EMI on their "Debut" series, followed by many more recordings for the label (Chopin, Rachmaninoff, Debussy, Stravinsky, Scriabin, Tchaikovsky/Pletnev, etc.). Apparently EMI/Warner did not keep him on their roster. Subsequently, he has made recordings of the Paganini Rhapsody and all four Rachmaninoff Concertos for the AVIE label with the Liverpool Philharmonic under Vasily Petrenko. I managed to find just about all his EMI recordings by now, and the Onyx label carries a recording of Tchaikovsky's first- and second piano concertos with the Liverpool forces and conductor. The pianist is an incredible virtuoso and plays with heartfelt expression. Those of us who love the piano never seem to tire of listening to so many renditions of the great piano literature! It's seems a good addiction!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Re: Pianist Simon Trpĉeski

Post by maestrob » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:44 am

So many fine artists, so little time.....I'll keep my ears open!

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:04 pm

More of his discs keep coming and I am delighted. Two of the latest are live recitals from Wigmore Hall in London on their own label. One [0058] offers Schubert's 16 German Dances, the Wanderer Fantasy; the Bach/Liszt Prelude and Fugue in A Minor, BWV 543; Liszt's Sonetto del Petrarca No. 104, Les jeaux d'eaux à la Villa d'Este, and Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 in C-sharp Minor; Encores: (Spoken intro), Schubert/Liszt Standchen, and Chopin's Prelude in D Minor. All recorded live March 18, 2012.

The other, Wigmore Hall [0081] was recorded live July 19, 2014 and consists of Brahms 3 Intermezzi, Op. 117, Variations and Fugue on a Theme by Handel; Ravel's Valses nobles et sentimentales; Poulenc's Novelettes 1, 2, 3; 5 Improvisations (Nos. 1,2,6,13,15), and the Toccata from Three Pieces.

Here's an incredible pianist to keep both your eyes and ears on!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:07 pm

I have heard this pianist only once in concert; it was a performance of Prokofiev's 3rd Concerto with the Philadelphia Orchestra 11 years ago, and he made a strong impression. Here's what I wrote:
Macedonian pianist Simon Trpceski (lots of consonants, but I’m informed it’s pronounced trip – CHESS – key) was the soloist in a staple of 20th Century music, Prokofiev’s Piano Concerto No. 3. When a soloist and an orchestra are equal to its enormous demands, the audience is rewarded with one of the most thrilling works in the concerto repertoire. I still recall Martha Argerich’s electric performance of this piece several years ago with the Philadelphians, but Trpceski delivered a superb rendition of this concerto that I will remember for a long time.

After a prolonged standing ovation, Trpceski sat at the piano and announced an encore: “I will play the Philadelphia premiere of a piece by the Macedonian composer [lots of syllables]. It is called [even more syllables]. I hope you like it.” I did! Even if I couldn’t give you the name of the composer or the piece, it was a bright, edgy, virtuosic work, which Trpceski brought off with style and flair.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:55 pm

Very nice and informative review you wrote! I should soon be getting the pianist's PCs 1/3-Prokofiev, it is the only one of his discs I didn't think about acquiring. But of Prokofiev's piano concertos, Nos. 1 and 3 are my favs of the five, with a nod or two to No. 2.
Ricordanza wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:07 pm
I have heard this pianist only once in concert; it was a performance of Prokofiev's 3rd Concerto with the Philadelphia Orchestra 11 years ago, and he made a strong impression. Here's what I wrote:
Macedonian pianist Simon Trpceski (lots of consonants, but I’m informed it’s pronounced trip – CHESS – key) was the soloist in a staple of 20th Century music, Prokofiev’s Piano Concerto No. 3. When a soloist and an orchestra are equal to its enormous demands, the audience is rewarded with one of the most thrilling works in the concerto repertoire. I still recall Martha Argerich’s electric performance of this piece several years ago with the Philadelphians, but Trpceski delivered a superb rendition of this concerto that I will remember for a long time.

After a prolonged standing ovation, Trpceski sat at the piano and announced an encore: “I will play the Philadelphia premiere of a piece by the Macedonian composer [lots of syllables]. It is called [even more syllables]. I hope you like it.” I did! Even if I couldn’t give you the name of the composer or the piece, it was a bright, edgy, virtuosic work, which Trpceski brought off with style and flair.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief