ukranian institute of america

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

ukranian institute of america

Post by lennygoran » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:50 pm

It had been suggested by a friend that a tour of the park ave armory for its art would be worthwhile-while checking this out it was suggested from trip advisor that this ukranian institute might be worthwhile as well-well today was the day-its right at the bus stop we use many times when we go the the metropolitan museum of art-almost right across from that museum-anyway what a treasure for nyc this is-highly recommended! The first 2 photos are why I put it in the music forum. Len

maestrob

Re: ukranian institute of america

Post by maestrob » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:37 pm

OTOH, some Russian oligarch (I assume) has opened a museum glorifying the KGB in our neighborhood, complete with life-size busts of Stalin & Lenin. I won't go in: the idea gives me the creepy-crawlies; it's like glorifying Hitler with an SS museum. I am deeply ashamed that such a thing should exist here in the U. S., much less a stone's-throw from my front door. So far, no protests have been mounted. Horrifying! :twisted:

Freedom of speech, indeed! :oops: :roll:

John F

Post by John F » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:46 pm

For some reason, Americans are much less aware of the Stalin-era atrocities in the Soviet Union than of the Holocaust. Maybe it's because the Soviets were our allies in WWII and, if the truth be told, turned the tide by defeating and decimating the Wehrmacht on the Eastern front, with a major assist from General Winter. All through the war, Americans were deluged with pro-Soviet as well as anti-Nazi propaganda, and not told about what was happening inside Russia. Today, everybody knows the name and reputation of Adolf Hitler; fewer, I believe, have heard of Joseph Stalin. What astonishes me is that many Russians are reportedly nostalgic for Stalin. You have to wonder.
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:06 am

Brian Sue and I passed by that place and were wondering about it. Regards, Len

https://kgbspymuseum.org