Snow/cold incredible, but we have ...

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Snow/cold incredible, but we have ...

Post by Lance » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:36 pm

... thankfully, our many recordings to enjoy, books to catch up on, food and warmth, and since few want to take on this miserable weather, why not? Even catching up on sleep is a good idea. Or watching old movies! I don't see much activity this snowy weekend on CMG though we have a lot of viewers but not many posters. Can't blame 'em.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

John F

Re: Snow/cold incredible, but we have ...

Post by John F » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:53 am

Down here we haven't seen any snow but there's been a lot of rain. The forecast for today is a high temperature below 20°, that's F not C, but on Wednesday it's supposed to go up to 45° and rain most of the day. Go figure.

With the holiday, I don't have to go to the library for my usual Monday shift, and I'm not setting foot outside my apartment. But there's never a shortage of things to do around here.
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:12 am

John F wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:53 am
Down here we haven't seen any snow but there's been a lot of rain.
John you're fortunate-here's what we've had since returning from NYC. Admit it was nice to look at from the dining room table as we enjoyed dinner Saturday night. Regards, Len

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:16 am

John F wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:53 am
Down here we haven't seen any snow but there's been a lot of rain. The forecast for today is a high temperature below 20°, that's F not C, but on Wednesday it's supposed to go up to 45° and rain most of the day. Go figure.

With the holiday, I don't have to go to the library for my usual Monday shift, and I'm not setting foot outside my apartment. But there's never a shortage of things to do around here.
I'm with you this time, John. On top of the bitterly cold weather, I'm babying a chest cold with antihistamines and lots of tea. Wouldn't THINK of going out today! Happy MLK Day! :D

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:34 pm

Well, we have minus 1 degree at the moment. How nice. The USPS truck stopped by to deliver an Amazon order but left without leaving the package because they could not get into the driveway or up the stairs. I found my way out of the driveway with the RAV4 to go look for UPS and all the time it was USPS! I wasted my time. I wanted that package! We collectors have a fettish about wanting our "stuff." So I bundled up and didn't get it it even though I FOUND the UPS truck. USPS should deliver it tomorrow. The snow now has a crust atop it and is miserable to walk through. Streets are plowed fine. Since this is MLK Day, USPS delivers Amazon packages "within two days," but no other mail is being delivered. I still await our guy with the plow. And so it goes ...
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:07 pm

Lance wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:34 pm
I still await our guy with the plow. And so it goes ...
Lance I feel for you-that's always a concern of ours-friends of ours who live in Maplewood NJ emailed me their heating is out-what an awful time for this to happen. Regards, Len

barney

Post by barney » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:12 am

Well, we have the opposite problem. Today is going to be 44 degrees C, which is 111 in fahrenheit. It's hard to breathe in such heat, and people die. Nor will it be the first 40-plus day this month; more like the fifth. Yesterday (Thursday) was 41 (105).
It seems the extremes are worsening everywhere.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:45 am

barney wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:12 am
Barney this seems to be what Sue and I have noticed-this last season's weather has been very unusual imo. Regards, Len

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:45 am

barney wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:12 am
Well, we have the opposite problem. Today is going to be 44 degrees C, which is 111 in fahrenheit. It's hard to breathe in such heat, and people die. Nor will it be the first 40-plus day this month; more like the fifth. Yesterday (Thursday) was 41 (105).
Wow! Barney, I hope your air-conditioning can handle such temperatures. We live on the side of our building that faces East. With direct sunlight our wall really heats up, and our unit starts to complain at roughly 95 degrees. With nowhere to put the heat, it just shuts down sporadically, especially when outside temp. hits 100 degrees and above (which is rare so far). What a world we're living in, eh? :mrgreen:

Belle

Post by Belle » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:59 pm

We have the same weather starting tomorrow that Melbourne does; century temperatures for at least 4 or 5 days. We are in a cycle of drought and this always brings with it very high/extreme temperatures which will not cool unless and until it rains. But it isn't unprecedented. We used to live on a farm north west of Sydney. I well remember going to our 2 youngest children's school when the temperature had reached 47 degrees in about 1997 and bringing them home as we regarded it as too hot for them to continue at school. There were many days in a row like that, as well as other subsequent periods, of those temperatures. Our business was intensive agriculture and, of course, our interest in the weather was vital in keeping alive 110,000 chickens crowded into a confined space. Sometimes the equipment failed and all hell broke loose!!

My son makes wine and is very involved in weather monitoring because of potential damage to grapes through excessive heat and subsequent rain/storms. He has been doing this for 22 years and hasn't raised any concerns about anything but too much rain falling before vintage. That doesn't happen very much, but too much rain (and hail) can devastate a crop of wine in 15 minutes.

My relatives live in the rural NSW area, having worked broad acre farms, and still speak about these temperatures being experienced in the 1930s. All of them are 90 years or older now. They spoke of playing cricket in the mid 1930s in the completely dry bed of a famous river which irrigates that area. And I remember reading a local history (in 2010) of a family in the area whose baby died in 1922 in century temperatures (their next child was my father's friend) and before the father could fashion a timber coffin for the child the weather had turned so cold it required a fuel stove to provide heating. This is Australia's weather.

Books, music and tennis (finals of the Australian Open on Sunday; Nadal v Djokovic) this weekend. Will not entertain friends in weather like this. We dream of snow to keep us cool!!

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:58 pm

Here in Iowa we are to have 1-3" of snow tomorrow Fri. thru Sat., then at least 4 + inches or more of snow this coming Mon. - Tues, then Tues. night an actual air temp low of - 13F., then Wed. a high of - 6F., with a low Wed. night of - 19F. ( - 28C. ).Wind chills Tues. night and Wed. night are to be - 35 to - 45F. (-43C.).Then heading East I assume.

Why God made CM, and cheap shiraz.Although I worry about the Aussie shiraz at + 44C.

alan c. davis

Post by alan c. davis » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:45 pm

Hit 46.6C (115.8F) in Adelaide yesterday, the hottest day on record.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:13 am

I love reading about what's happening with weather in our CMG family. It seems everywhere is somehow affected, cold or hot. Very hard to believe what our Australian friends are experiencing with heat. While we have gone from -3 degrees (F) to about 43 in a week's time in Upstate New York, it has now rained considerably washing away most of the big snows we had; rain at this time of year is atypical. They have done a good job salting roads before the rains freeze and driving conditions are reasonably good. I had a call from Canada yesterday, and they, too, are experiencing strange weather. My dear friends, continue to take care of yourselves!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Belle

Post by Belle » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:22 am

alan c. davis wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:45 pm
Wow!! We've had it hotter than that in the Hunter over 20 years ago, as I mentioned earlier, when I took our kids out of school. A friend moved back to Sydney from Adelaide because she could not longer tolerate the 43 to 44 degree days.

My husband and I have wondered what the built environment does to temperatures; I mean, all that tar and concrete and high rise. as opposed to trees, grass and soil.

John F

Post by John F » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:46 am

In New York City, the temperature is often or usually a degree or two warmer than in the surrounding countryside at the same time, because of radiant heat from all the buildings and other causes. But the difference is seldom if ever noticeable.
John Francis

Belle

Post by Belle » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:02 am

My son works (fly in/fly out) in the Pilbara region in the north west of Western Australia (Tom Price, Paraburdoo and Newman) where summer weather is not infrequently 52C degrees. His job is occupational health and safety and he has to make sure the workers are hydrated and protected at all times. Strangely he seems to have adapted to the heat and doesn't complain when it's 40 something here or in Perth.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pilba ... 21.5236826

No place for "The Firebird", "The Fiery Angel", "Music for the Royal Fireworks", "Ritual Fire Dance" etc. etc.!!!

But OK for this!! In Australia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ49QvOzKW4

For you all, there in the USA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBQZ6VzeWUk

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:33 pm

Belle! Thanks for lifting my spirits! :lol:

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:29 pm

alan c. davis wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:45 pm
And the wines ??!!

Belle

Post by Belle » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:58 pm

Whines.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:42 am

Sue, loved that clip. First time I've seen Peter Lorre act in that manner!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:50 am

Wonderful , at 7:30 am here today, Sat. 1/26, actual air temp - 22F. ( - 30C.), but no wind or snow.
Of course, it's just a dry cold.

barney

Post by barney » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:40 pm

Where is "here", Rach3?

barney

Post by barney » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:47 pm

I went last week to a bushfire session run by the fire brigade because I am about 60 metres from a large natural reserve and less than a kilometre downhill from a national park, from which embers would easily reach my property.
They said the ground is drier than almost ever since records began, more so than in 2009 when we had bushfires that killed 173 people around Melbourne.
I also learnt that I am in no position to stay and fight embers from the hills. You need two fit people, 10,000 litres of water and a pump that does not rely on electricity from the grid, as power lines are usually among the first things to go. They said for the 44 degree day we had on Friday, put on all your thick woollen safety clothes, hat, scarf and gloves, and garden for several hours. If you can do it again the next day, you are fit enough! They also said if you don't leave home well before the fire arrives it will be too late - the air will be choked with smoke, visibility will be a few yards, cars run into each other, and if not the roads may be blocked with four or five massive fire trucks. I would certainly leave too late. So I would probably die. Invisible radiant heat far in advance of the flames is what kills most people. I will stay in the house, but have huge trees that will collapse on to the house (our local government doesn't let anyone cut down trees or even big branches).

Belle

Post by Belle » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:55 am

Dante's inferno in the Dandenongs!! You'd have to live through it to know how utterly terrifying it is. I spoke to a survivor of those 2009 Victoria bushfires you speak of; she was on our trip around NZ at Christmas. Said her husband had suffered a stroke and there were just the two of them left in the house with no way of escape. She manage to do what you suggested with thick clothes and protection and both miraculously survived.

My eyes are still watering from seeing that horrendous wildfire in California, near Los Angeles.

barney

Post by barney » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:52 am

That's what the firefighters said: if the worst comes to the worst, you are safer inside, but not in your bathroom because you usually can't see from there. Move around the house, as the fire moves, and if you can't stay inside, find a place that has already burnt. I think it would be colossally terrifying to be in that situation. Cold kills you just as dead, but it doesn't seem so hellish. But what would I know? I haven't been in snow for decades.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:35 am

barney wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:40 pm
Where is "here", Rach3?
East central Iowa,USA,on the Mississippi River,in the "nose " of Iowa, 150 miles due west of Chicago.

We now have almost knee-deep snow.Tonight,Sunday ,Jan.27,we are to receive about 10 cm ( 4 inches ) of new snow, and the actual air temp low both this coming Wed. and Thurs, am is to be - 30C. ( - 22F. )
Fortunately, we can also acquire Penfolds reds here.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:39 pm

About 2:30pm Sunday, 1/27/18, we've got a snow squall in our midst right now with low visability. It is, after all, mid-winter. But we still want to know: when will it end. It puts a stop to doing anything or going anywhere. I almost took a major fall the other day … ice thick around the chariot. So be careful. And the COLD remains, bone-chilling.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:16 pm

Lance wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:39 pm
But we still want to know: when will it end.
Lance next week is supposed to be worse. Regards, Len :(

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:02 am

Yes, so I see by the Weather Channel. I think we've had enough of this cold. Snow I can deal with for the most part, except traveling any distances and not particularly after the sun goes down. It's even cold in Florida, so says my daughter, who is used to mid-70s in the Sarasota area. They have to turn the heat on some.
lennygoran wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:16 pm
Lance wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:39 pm
But we still want to know: when will it end.
Lance next week is supposed to be worse. Regards, Len :(
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

barney

Post by barney » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:50 am

It's all quite extraordinary, Lance and Rach3. Pity we can't alternate with each other every hour, so that as one set of weather becomes intolerable it is replaced. I've never felt 30 below. I'm sure that would kill quite quickly in the wrong circumstances. You may or may not have experienced 115.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:20 am

Barney, the warmest I recall here was 104 or 105F. ( 40C. ), although each Summer we usually have several days in the 90's , usually at least one or two at 100 or 101. The revised forecast for this coming Wed. is - 29F. ( - 34C. ) ; you're welcome to come and try it !

Belle

Post by Belle » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:45 pm

Decades ago, when I worked for our national broadcaster (in television), I noticed many Canadians at our workplace. When I asked why so many of them had moved to Australia to live their reply was standard, "It's just far too cold in Canada; we're tired of it".

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:59 am

Rach3 wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:20 am
The revised forecast for this coming Wed. is - 29F. ( - 34C. ) ; you're welcome to come and try it !
Be careful! I understand that frostbite can set in after only 5 minutes of exposure to this temperature.

barney

Post by barney » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:12 am

I've always felt it was easier to warm up when cold than to cool down when hot. That might be because I'm overweight. But when I say easy to warm up, I'm thinking from 5 or 6 Celsius, which is about as cold as it gets in Melbourne or Sydney, not 30 below. Of course it might well get colder in the Blue Mountains, but probably not far into negative territory.
At 30 below, Rach3, do your eyelashes freeze? Do you have to cover your nose to avoid frostbite? I imagine you have to be very careful about going outside.
Ah! I see my question is answered in the previous post, which must have come in as I was typing. Thanks Ricordanza.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:44 am

We're geared up for another snowstorm w/ice coming to New York. It's supposed to be 5 degrees tonight. We don't usually get such extreme temperatures here, because Manhattan is an island, surrounded by water which mollifies the effects of extreme air masses. I can only imagine how things will be upstate or in Pennsylvania/Connecticut/New Jersey suburbs. Do keep warm, gents, and stay indoors, as I will!

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:13 am

Ricordanza wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:59 am
Be careful! I understand that frostbite can set in after only 5 minutes of exposure to this temperature.
Thanks !
Yes, 5 minutes, even frostbite your eyeballs, and have vascular constrictions of your heart blood vessels, among other ills:
https://www.cnn.com/2016/12/16/health/c ... index.html
Wife and I are staying inside all today,Tues.1/29 thru Thursday 1/31,may not venture out to get the mail even if USPO delivers ,which they probably won't. Revised forecast this am is now for a low actual air temp tomorrow Wed. am of - 26F. ( - 32C.), a high of -15F. (- 26C.), and a low Thurs,am of -30F. (-34C. ). " Wind chill " ( feels like temp ) during day Wed. is to be -55F. ( - 48C. ), Thurs, - 45F. Much warmer Friday,though. I much prefer too hot rather than too cold.Unfortunately,medical advice in both cases is to avoid alcohol, the one bit of advice I dont usually follow. " I never drink water ; it may become habit forming." WC Fields.
All heading your way, I believe,Ricordanza.

Belle

Post by Belle » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:38 pm

maestrob wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:44 am
We're geared up for another snowstorm w/ice coming to New York. It's supposed to be 5 degrees tonight. We don't usually get such extreme temperatures here, because Manhattan is an island, surrounded by water which mollifies the effects of extreme air masses. I can only imagine how things will be upstate or in Pennsylvania/Connecticut/New Jersey suburbs. Do keep warm, gents, and stay indoors, as I will!
Spare a thought for the homeless!! That must be horrific.

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:58 am

Rach3 wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:13 am

All heading your way, I believe,Ricordanza.
Yes, the Polar Vortex is scheduled to be here in the Philadelphia/South Jersey region on Thursday. They are predicting a high temperature of 16 degrees F, which is certainly colder than I'd like, but not eyeball freezing weather.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:41 am

Cleveland: TEMP-5° / WIND CHILL -31°

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:47 am

Rach3 wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:13 am
medical advice in both cases is to avoid alcohol, the one bit of advice I dont usually follow.
No way I'm giving up the wine-bad enough I have to shovel the walkway! Regards, Len :lol:

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:24 pm

-17F at Noon, wind chill -44F. -27C and -42C. Wed. 1/30. Low at 6am was -26F, wind chill - 53F.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:48 pm

Binghamton, New York area [Upstate NY]: 6 degrees here now, and falling. Expected wind chills to be -20 and -30 as the day progresses. A good day NOT to go anywhere. Listen to music instead! Looks like many of us are going through some real bad weather. I cannot fathom how the homeless are dealing with this.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

barney

Post by barney » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:58 am

Gorgeous pix Lennie. I can't fathom how any of you cope with this. I've never experienced anything like it.
No need to give up the red. My doctor gave me a very helpful rule of thumb on drinking too much: when you drink more than your doctor does. It's just a matter of finding an appropriate doctor.
(That's a JOKE by my doctor.)

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:06 am

barney wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:58 am
It's just a matter of finding an appropriate doctor.
Barney when I go for my checkups my doctor always asks about the wine consumption-by now she knows the answer and just shakes her head and moves on. Regards, Len :)

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:30 am

lennygoran wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:06 am
barney wrote:
It's just a matter of finding an appropriate doctor.
Barney when I go for my checkups my doctor always asks about the wine consumption-by now she knows the answer and just shakes her head and moves on. Regards, Len :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOwZ_TsI28A

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:36 am

barney wrote:
Gorgeous pix Lennie. I can't fathom how any of you cope with this. I've never experienced anything like it.
No need to give up the red. My doctor gave me a very helpful rule of thumb on drinking too much: when you drink more than your doctor does. It's just a matter of finding an appropriate doctor.
:lol:

As the world-famous Johnny Carson used to put it: "If you have to use a map to tell a joke, don't tell it!" :roll:

No offense, barney........ :wink:

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:07 am

- 33F. here this Thurs,.1/31, at 7 am ( - 36C.), but thankfully no wind.A little too early for red wine, although it is 5 pm somewhere ?

John F

Post by John F » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:48 pm

And yet the forecast for Monday in NYC is a high temp of 53°. That's a swing of 35° in four days.
John Francis

barney

Post by barney » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:17 pm

maestrob wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:36 am
barney wrote:
:lol:

As the world-famous Johnny Carson used to put it: "If you have to use a map to tell a joke, don't tell it!" :roll:

No offense, barney........ 😉
None taken. But it does seem occasionally necessary to spell it out.