Effect of CM on cats

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Effect of CM on cats

Post by Rach3 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:30 am

Somehow, I missed this 2015 study ,which , IF I understand the data correctly, suggests less anesthesia would be needed for surgeries on cats if classical music were played to cats during their surgeries :

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25824137

I do recall that when I had an angiogram about 15 years ago, the operating room had a radio on playing Country Western, and one of the nurses asked if I'd like other music. I asked her to re-tune to a local classical FM station they were not familiar with, but they then commented the music sounded nice. They gave me the IV sedative and I koncked out ,but perhaps they felt they could give me less than they give CW fans ?

John F

Re: Effect of CM on cats

Post by John F » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:10 pm

That's an Ig Nobel Prize winner, right?

While on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOr2O0FfpT8
Last edited by John F on Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Francis

Modernistfan

Post by Modernistfan » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:15 pm

It depends on the cat, and it depends on the music! Some years ago, I was in Tower Records (R.I.P.) in Westwood in Los Angeles, and that store had a rather grumpy cat named Walter. Someone put on the opening of Bernd Alois Zimmermann's opera "Die Soldaten," which is some of the most dissonant music of which I am aware, and the cat took off out of the front door as though a wolf were chasing it! On the other hand, Alex Ross, the writer for the New Yorker, claims that his Abyssinian cat Penelope actually liked Xenakis's very difficult electronic music "Bohor."

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:18 pm

Play "Certain rat, dans une cuisine ... " and my tabby's ears twitch.