First Stand Alone DVD Player

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

First Stand Alone DVD Player

Post by lennygoran » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:12 am

After many years of service my downstairs DVD/VCR combo unit failed on me-the VCR part will play my many opera tapes but the DVD unit made a spinning noise when you turned it on-so far haven't found any place to fix it yet-buying a new combo seems nearly impossible unless you want to spend a lot of money-too bad the VCR/DVD has become so obsolete. I had a few other old VCR's but they aren't combos but I connected one up while I try to find a place where they can fix the combo. Anyway yesterday we went to the local Walmart and for $35 got our first DVD player-the instructions weren't that easy for me but calling LG got me running-so now I can again watch the few DVD operas we own--ironically a guy who was very helpful told me he hardly uses his DVD player anymore because the new trend now is Blue Ray. Regards, Len [always behind] :(

PS-You tube had this clip fpr fixing the old VCR/DVD combo-I believe it's the belt on the DVD part spinning around making the noise? Still there's no way I'll be trying this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcVn9NUtq0c

maestrob

Re: First Stand Alone DVD Player

Post by maestrob » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:16 am

Len, I'm sorry to inform you, but the last factory that made parts for VCRs closed recently. That's why the few remaining sets are so hideously expensive! Incidentally, Blu-ray players can also play regular DVDs, so I don't think the format will disappear so quickly. Ironically, I have a VHS/DVD combo unit that I use to record the few available channels off the air, and it works just fine on the DVD side, but the VHS unit is kaput.

Lots of people I know use streaming video through the internet into so-called "smart" TVs, but for my money the video quality just isn't there yet. Maybe when they get 5G working, that will solve the problem. I love my DVD and CD collection, and hope they make players far into the future.......

John F

Post by John F » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:38 pm

There are quite a few combo dvd/vhs players listed on Amazon with prices going down to $65.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... vhs+player
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:57 am

maestrob wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:16 am
Ironically, I have a VHS/DVD combo unit that I use to record the few available channels off the air, and it works just fine on the DVD side, but the VHS unit is kaput.
I called a repair place and the guy said he couldn't get the parts to fix it and even if he could he said it would run over $100 or more. I told him about the fix I saw over at youtube-I thought the belt was making the spinning noise-he said the DVD's don't have a belt-yet clearly I saw one on the youtube clip. I have 2 older VCRs without DVD so I can still watch my tapes until they go on me. Technology always moves quicker than I can keep up with. Regards, Len

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:06 am

John F wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:38 pm
There are quite a few combo dvd/vhs players listed on Amazon with prices going down to $65.
John thanks-I did look at those but many of the less expensive ones seemed to be used refurbished ones-some reviews indicated negative features like not coming with a remote or not working at all. I told Sue I could roll the dice and just buy one of the cheaper ones and I may still do that-well at least I have a workable DVD to watch the DVD's I have-much less of them than the very large number of VCR cassettes I still have. Regards, Len