Martinu's Double Concerto , H.271

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Martinu's Double Concerto , H.271

Post by Rach3 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:05 am

My first hearing :

Martinu, Bohuslav
Concert voor piano, pauken en strijkorkest, H.271

https://www.nporadio4.nl/concerten/8569 ... ndschappen

Frank Braley, piano, Orchestre Royal de Chambre de Wallonie,Les Violons du Roy,live Amsterdam Feb. 4, 2019. Will listen again, very powerful Largo mov.,striking work overall.

https://www.revolvy.com/page/Double-Con ... nd-Timpani

From the above revolvy.com website :

"Bohuslav Martinů's Double Concerto for Two String Orchestras, Piano, and Timpani (H. 271) was written in Switzerland in 1938 during deteriorating diplomatic relationships throughout Europe. Commissioned by Paul Sacher for the Basel Chamber Orchestra, it reflects intense impressions, from both the composer's personal life and the political events of the time.
The Concerto is structured upon the concerto grosso, the three movements scored as 1. Poco Allegro, 2. Largo, 3. Allegro; its outer movements are characterized by a mood of anxiety expressed through syncopated rhythms, while its Largo centres upon a defiant, declamatory statement; the concerto as a whole lasting circa 21 minutes in total.
The cover of the manuscript score bears the dedication to my dear friend Paul Sacher to commemorate the quiet and fearful days spent at Schönenberg amongst the deer and the threat of the war. Martinů finished the last movement of the sketch on the same day of the signing of the Munich Treaty. It was first performed by the Basel Chamber Orchestra conducted by Paul Sacher in Basel in February, 1940; Martinů travelled from Paris to attend the Basel performance, despite the difficult international situation. The Swiss composer Arthur Honegger was among the audience of its first performance."
Recordings per the site :

• 1951 Czech Philharmonic Orchestra, Rafael Kubelik
• BRNO State Philharmonic Orchestra, Charles Mackerras
• 1994 Prague Radio Symphony, Charles Mackerras
• 1992 City of London Sinfonia - Richard Hickox
• Recording of - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1j_K752Wac

John F

Re: Martinu's Double Concerto , H.271

Post by John F » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:43 pm

Nearly the same performing forces as Bartók's Music for Strings Percussion and Celesta which he finished in 1936 - another Paul Sacher commission. I should think Martinu knew it when writing his own piece.
John Francis

Rach3

Re: Martinu's Double Concerto , H.271

Post by Rach3 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:39 pm

John F wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:43 pm
Nearly the same performing forces as Bartók's Music for Strings Percussion and Celesta which he finished in 1936 - another Paul Sacher commission. I should think Martinu knew it when writing his own piece.
Thanks for the reminder.The Bartok one of my favs of his, bigger-scaled,more complex than the Martinu,but both forceful,often dark-hued,often same sound world.I suspect you are correct Martinu knew the Bartok.